CHOMPI Club

This looks kinda cool

Though, it maybe seems a touch pricey?

Chompi Club will arrive on Kickstarter on the 28th of March, 2023, for an early bird pre-order price of $499 (retail $599).

1 Like

I saw it and immediately assumed itā€™d be like $900. Teenage engineering set a terrible example that everyone else is following now.

2 Likes

$599ā€¦ get real

1 Like

What the hellā€¦ image

When I saw this for the first time I though something like ā€œOh, it looks kinda cheap-ish, nice of them to make musical stuff more affordable and popularā€. Then I kinda forgot about it for few years and now I checked the pricesā€¦

I saw Chompiā€™s ad yesterday or maybe a day before. It looks nice, but again, everyone already said here that itā€™s not 600$ niceā€¦

2 Likes

VERY cool! So like Arbhar + external keyboard? Or somethingā€¦

Whatā€™s the price? Ohā€¦ retail $599. Doesnā€™t seem that bad honestly, considering what modules like Arbhar and Morphagene cost. Dunno, but it seems attractive. I donā€™t think itā€™s grossly overpriced if the build quality is good, which seems so at a glance.

Someone somewhere mentioned they thought it was similar to the Organelle, which seems to be $495 - $595, so I guess its at least somewhere competitive (although I know nothing about the Organelle, Iā€™m taking their word for it)

https://www.critterandguitari.com/organelle

1 Like

I dunno. How hard could have been to make the keyboard more like a ā€œproperā€ musical keyboard?

Saw this earlier, too. Iā€¦'d like to have this, yes, but compared to what Elektron sells for ā‚¬$800 to make sample-based music, Iā€™d get a toy. A cool toy, butā€¦ phew.

1 Like

Every since I heard the joke, ā€˜Teenage Engineering, really more of a lifestyle brand than just an instrument companyā€™, I thought, ā€˜ohhhh, that makes sense nowā€™.

Though people seem to do some good work with the OP-1, Iā€™ve never got my hands on one and canā€™t figure out what the cost is all about.

1 Like

Itā€™s a machined metal enclosure with some keyboard switches and a Teensy (probably). Nothing warranting that price.

Exactly. For $800 I could get a flagship multi-out drum machine with pristine XoX engines, a bulletproof sampler capable of almost every thing you could possibly want to do to a sample, a full on daw in a box with a multi point touch screen, or a full sized synth with aftertouch.

1 Like

Eurorack tends to be a more expensive format to build in. The circuitry required to integrate a little digital computer into a Ā±12v dc/ac environment ends up being complicated and expensive, and to be honest both those modules are sold at a pretty premium anyway.

I dare someone skilled to reimplement this workflow with affordable DAW and plugins and share with everyone. Because that is how it should be, without ā€œmagicā€.

Will this device be craved for in 30 years?

Organelle has a whole community of people making apps for it (like Norns or VCV kinda). The Hardware is not open-source, but the software is (and mainly based on PD if I understand correctly). With this Chompi at least for launch, you get a single app and it does what it does and nothing more. Maybe that will open up in the future, but I wouldnā€™t pay full price until I see that part in action.

Also, worth noting where their priorities are, the pink edition costs $100 more than the black edition, even though that is the only difference.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure itā€™s possible in Ableton or Bitwig.

1 Like