Changing default save directory

I keep my various save files in a directory far, far away from the Rack program files. This suits me fine except that every time I want to open or save anything I need to navigate all the way to my directory. Can I change the default directory to which Rack saves .vcv(s) files, and from which it loads them?

1 Like

In the manual it details the command-line options and environment variables you can use to change the user and system directories.

1 Like

is there any way to point vcv towards a different directory outside of the user folder to default to when saving patches or using the record module??

I believe thatā€™s the ā€œuser folderā€ that @existentia and the manual are referring to.

I think the user folder is the root for many sub-folders such as plugins, recordings, screenshots, patches, etc. Changing the user folder changes all the above.

I believe the OP wants to change the default user patches folder without affecting the other folders such as plugins, etc.

1 Like

If thatā€™s the case, then no, there is no general mechanism for that.

It is possible for individual modules to offer settings or behavior that remember alternate locations for non-module files, but thatā€™s up to each module to implement.

1 Like

AFAIK Rack remembers where you started from. f.i. when I open a vcv file from my G disk , work on it and press save as it jumps to my G disk and waits for a (new) file name. So as long as you donā€™t press new in the file menu but just open a file from your fav folder it will stay there,

Just use aliases or symbolic links. This works for me.

correct, i only want to move the default save folder location. not the entire user folder that its contained in.

this behavior is the same for me however i have a separate issue where any time if i cold open vcv rack from a .vcv file, most of my modules will not load into the patch. additionally it confuses itself into thinking i need updates on every single library installed, and reads my vcv rack version incorrectly. if i open vcv then load a .vcv file using filre->open these errors do not occur. this problem persists between updates & reinstalls.

so this means the directory behavior you describe doesnt carry over. im also someone who uses vcv as an educational tool & am constantly opening files from my downloads folder so my recent patches list is not an optimal option either.

heard, thank you!

im not familiar with what these are. i googled and get the general concept, but would u happen to have a resource that could teach me to implement these things??

1 Like

If youā€™re on Windows, there arenā€™t easy ways to create symbolic links.

1 Like

Fairly simple actually, just use the graphical tool if youā€™re on Windows referenced here: https://www.howtogeek.com/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Also for Mac: https://www.howtogeek.com/297721/how-to-create-and-use-symbolic-links-aka-symlinks-on-a-mac/

1 Like

I know symlinks are second nature for Linux folks.

A 3rd party tool you have to install or command line are things that are not easy or direct for many Windows users. Plus, the experience in the shell in the presence of links can create confusing behavior for many Windows users. Windows has improved over the years, and this is what a number of ā€œspecial foldersā€ are under the covers.

If youā€™re willing to go that far, go for it!

I would think if someone is into modular, they are technical enough to figure out symlinks with a little guidance. Once you start using them, it makes some things much easier like organizing folders and files to your own needs.

The guides I linked are over 10 years old and I started using them before I ever messed with terminals or even modular.

ill give this a shot!! tbh i am pretty bb when it comes to anything that isnt node based patching, tho you are correct in that i have enough comprehension to be able to follow guides & to pickup on syntax etc if its explained so ill give it a shot & if it proves to b too over my head ill just continue to keep my save directory path on a keyboard macro which is how ive been managing thusfar (: thnx everyone for the help and information!

2 Likes

This is what I wound up doing - I put a ā€œshortcutā€ in the Rack patches folder to the other, distant folder where my patches are