Chaircrusher Music Thread

2020-01-07.vcv (894.6 KB)

Thanks chaircrusher, much appreciated. Let’s see what wonders I can perform with it, is there any paid for modules by any chance?

Looking quickly - there’s VCV Pulse Matrix, VCV-Host, & in Host I use the Audiothing Wires VST and the UAD Precision Limiter VST on the master.

So you can load the patch and find different drum sequencers, delete the Host-FX and go from there.

Thanks, I have the Audiothing Wires demo version, got Host, so what does Pulse Matrix actually do, I haven’t taken much notice of it. It wasn’t in the sale when I bought Host and Soundstage.

Trigger Matrix is a drum sequencer. You can use other pulse sequencers. The closest analog might be the mscHack 6x32.

Never done this, linked to another post in Community, we’ll see how that works. This is playing with Hetrick Dust as a clock source.

There’s one trick I like so much I have to force myself not to use it over and over:

I have a main sequencer running, a @jeremy wentworth NoteSeq that’s stepped between patterns with a @stoermelder 8face, so it’s a single 32 bar pattern.

Then I use a Bernoulli Gate to on the triggers coming from the NoteSeq, to pick a note every so often and sends it through a VCV Chord module. Both the main sequence (and the eventual bass sound that comes in) run through instances of Probably Note using the same scale settings. So you have a main lead sequence, and the chords that play every soften that’s musically related to the lead sequence.

Running Chords’ note output through a Probably Note quantizer with is fun because it constrains the chord notes to the scale, but the chords it play change because of quantizer selecting a ‘spread’ of notes from a scale instead of the same ones every time.

It’s called Brother Stairs because the background voices are the Shortwave radio preacher Brother Stair, chopped to f*ck with Voxglitch Repeater, Ghosts, and Grain Engine Mk2.

Chaircrusher-BrotherStair.vcv (929.5 KB)

https://cornwarning.com/chaircrusher/Chaircrusher-BrotherStair.mp3

3 Likes

Hello again, please do you have a screenshot of where all the modules are in the patch. It came up with a list of the modules I have not got-VCV Pulse matrix-Pulse seq? VCV Chords and even Vult modules-I have the free ones. Sorry to bother you, I was looking forward to playing with this patch as well. Oh well such is life!

I can look at the patch and try and make a free version. There are free chord modules, pulse matrix is just a drum trigger sequencer,and I can replace the cult modules with the free versions.

Thank you for doing that. Much appreciated, NYSTHI do a chord module, Impromptu as well. Drum trigger I can use, can’t remember it’s name but it has purple buttons for triggers! Vult free are still good, so all is well. Stay safe and healthy.

you also might want to consider kicking a few bucks to these developers and buying some paid modules. They certainly are cheaper than most VSTs or any real hardware module. just sayin’ :wink:

True enough, all the points are valid! I have bought some of the Vult modules-Incubus and the mysteries I think, also bought Slimechildaudio’s Substation. So I’m not a total tight wad!

EDIT: new mix https://cornwarning.com/chaircrusher/Chaircrusher-Belie-mix2.mp3

This is 3 Kontakt sample instruments - Viola, Cello, Piano. Then some bass bass, and drums.

I generally put up my Rack patch but I enough things in this: VCV Pulse Matrix, VCV Host, Kontakt, Eventide Black Hole reverb.

It’s just one drum pattern but it seemed to not get too tired what with the other chaos swirling around.

2021-02-06.vcv (1.3 MB)

https://cornwarning.com/chaircrusher/Chaircrusher-Belie.mp3

2 Likes

Great Work!

I don’t know if everyone knows that they can click the 3 dots in the audio player and it will let you download the file. It’s an MP3 file that will probably be changed or recorded over, but if you collect such things, knock yourself out.

PS Please don’t take my music and release it under another name. I think I’ve done a pretty good job of copy-protecting them, by making music no one else wants to steal, but just so you know.

This is a tryout of the new @computerscare “Horse-A-Doodle-Doo” random sequencer. Info about how to get it here.

It’s actually a very strange beast. As I understand it, there are a series of preset patterns that you can’t change. But since changing parameters (length, density, pattern) radically alter the note sequence coming out of it, there’s no real limitations on what kind of mostly-adds-up craziness it can generate. If you leave the knobs alone what it plays will (eventually) repeat. Just tweaking the sequence length with a knob is endless fun.

2021-02-10.vcv (177.6 KB)

https://cornwarning.com/chaircrusher/Chaircrusher-Caveat.mp3

2 Likes

This one is another exploration of what you can do with simple FM. Sometimes FM depth around 2 to 6% has this spooky sound to it. The samples I recorded over this amazing site that runs a SDR radio system that lets you listen to and record shortwave broadcasts from all over the world.

The twittery stuff is some ring modulated XFX-Wave blips run through lashes of echoes. I don’t really think of this as a complicated patch. It’s 4 FM-Op oscillators sequenced by 2 instances of Nysthi 5 Step sequencer. The 4 FM-Op are FM-ing in a ‘ring’ by the signal from that oscillator after it’s passed through the VCA, meaning an FM-Op is modulating another oscillator only when it’s playing a note. So you get these occasional overlap where the sound is thoroughly modulated, and all these flute to sax to trombone transitions on each note. I provide the patch for informational purposes but it uses a bunch of paid modules, and I’m not including the samples I used. The core idea is all free modules, and you can wire it up yourself. Will do you good.

2021-02-09.vcv (452.9 KB)

http://cornwarning.com/chaircrusher/Chaircrusher-STPVOA.mp3

1 Like

It’s that old techno grandpa advice: Get enough channels of stuff going that you can make a track just changing patterns and riding mutes.

2021-02-18.vcv (380.9 KB)

https://cornwarning.com/chaircrusher/Chaircrusher-Muffin.mp3

2 Likes

How are you accurately quantizing in your colundi pieces? if I’m not mistaken and you use the Octave shift on the scala quantizer, it’s not actually colundi anymore cause it’s just transposing it down rather than accessing the specific frequencies that are lower. most of the sequencers and cv sources I’ve tried are way too high or too low and its hard to attenuate accurately and keep it “colundi”

It’s anyone’s guess what a correct Colundi is. in the end I can’t make myself care. You have to really work to conform to volumes sequence and its a moving target besides. I’m more into prime ratios tuned scales. If you’re going to be mystical about scales, go Pythagorean.