Can't select two ASIO devices from different modules in Windows 11

I’m trying to use a miniDSP USBStreamer B as an ADAT input/output to talk to an Expert Sleepers ES-3/ES-6 combination. I can connect to that fine, using an Audio 8 module.

When I then try to use an Audio (or Audio 8) module to connect to my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, though, I can’t select the device in the module. It’s in the list, but when I click on it it the module just stays on “(No Device)”. The same is true for any other ASIO devices in the system.

Is it possible to have VCV Rack (Free 2.0.6) talk to two separate ASIO devices from two modules? It would be good to know if I’m trying something that’s impossible, or whether I’m just running into a bug.

(I actually started trying this setup because I was having problems with random noise coming out of the ADAT ports on the Focusrite when using Voicemeeter, which I’ll put in a separate topic!).

“The Steinberg ASIO audio API allows only a single device driver to be loaded and accessed at a time”

The RtAudio Home Page

2 Likes

Somewhat related… I strongly recommend against any sort of aggregate device setup(combining soundcards). I know at least 5 other people personally that have attempted the dream of aggregate devices in Mac Os and it works for a little while and eventually fails.

Dumb question here possibly, but why use the USB Streamer B inbetween? Couldn’t you just use the ADAT from ES-3/6 into and out of the Focusrite interface directly?

I’ve personally never had a good time using solutions like ASIO4ALL drivers in Windows, lots of crashes and latency issues I found.

Each time there’s been a major update to Windows I’ve hoped they’d do something in that area, but crickets.

I upgraded to the 18i20 exactly to get the ADAT, so was very annoyed when the Voicemeeter/Rack/ES-3 combination caused issues! I had the USBStreamer as a more portable solution for use with my laptop, so thought it was worth a try.

I’m still not sure what the problem was with Voicemeeter, but I managed to resolve the behaviour by assigning ports 13-20 in its “Out A2 - PATCH BUS TO A1 ASIO Outputs” in System Settings. I have no idea why this worked, I was just working on a hunch that these higher unassigned ports were somehow ‘floating’. As soon as I assigned them there, the random voltages to the CV inputs/outputs stopped, and I haven’t noticed anything else in my setup that has broken.

(Mentioning it here just in case someone else runs into this particular situation.)

Has always worked fine for me and lots of other folks, that’s what it’s meant for. But that’s Mac and OP is on Windows. Besides, it shouldn’t be needed anymore as Rack v2 supports multiple audio devices.

Fixed it for 'ya :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There’s a (many) reason audio people are on Mac by proponderance. Look, I’m not trying to be a snob and I work on Windows every day. There’s things Windows are good for - gaming, enterprise/office etc. but drivers and audio has always been a nightmare in Windows compared to macOS. In Windows you need drivers from scummy manufacturers for almost everything and on Mac only for few or no things, particularly if you stick with class compliant hardware. You wouldn’t believe the weight that lifts from the shoulders…

and yet…

No, my dislike for Apple’s MO outweighs the fringe benefits.

yes, so you can be class compliant on both platforms. Or you can be not class compliant and usually work on windows an no chance at all of working on mac :wink: Not that you are wrong, but the fact that windows sort of supports 1000X more devices is kind of cool. Sort of.

In my experience a lot of the time you need drivers on Windows for class compliant hardware whereas on Mac and Linux you don’t. The issue is drivers and that people can’t write them for shite. And when you have them they’ll work for as long as the vendor bothers to update them and after that you’re hosed. Being dependent on vendors writing crappy drivers is not my idea of fun :slight_smile: And yes, that goes for Mac and Linux as well, but the benefit being that you need them much less. BTW, these days the platform with by far the largest hardware support is… Linux :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: