can't build deps any more

Tried to build a new rack from scratch. Now it’s bombing out pretty early in the deps. Any ideas?

jansson-2.12.tar.gz                                    100%[==========================================================================================================================>] 477.69K  --.-KB/s    in 0.05s

2024-04-20 10:32:39 (10.4 MB/s) - ‘jansson-2.12.tar.gz’ saved [489154/489154]

sha256check() { echo "$2  $1" | sha256sum -c; }; sha256check jansson-2.12.tar.gz 5f8dec765048efac5d919aded51b26a32a05397ea207aa769ff6b53c7027d2c9
jansson-2.12.tar.gz: OK
tar xf jansson-2.12.tar.gz
rm jansson-2.12.tar.gz
cd jansson-2.12 && ./configure --prefix="/d/Rack/dep"
configure: loading site script /etc/config.site
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /usr/bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in `/d/Rack/dep/jansson-2.12':
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details
make[1]: *** [Makefile:114: lib/libjansson.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/d/Rack/dep'
make: *** [Makefile:111: dep] Error 2

Oh, looks like if I disable windows defender the problem does way.

1 Like

There’s a choir in here that says “never any problems with security software or stuff like OneDrive, you’re making it up”, and then there’s the rest of us saying “here’s another example, how many do you want”.

2 Likes

iCoud can join the rest of us ;).

Well, defender and one drive are very different. I’ve always had a problem with defender thinking that my locally built rack.exe has a trojan in it. I’ve always assumed it was spurious, so I just put in an exception for Rack.exe.

Now it seems like Defender is a bit more aggressive. It seems to take a very long time to decide my locally build unit tests are ok, to run. And new it thinks there are more trojans in the deps and such.

I had hoped that making a “dev volume” would fix this. I did that, but it didn’t fix it. For now I’m just excluding the whole dev volume. I’m assuming/hoping that later I can just exclude rack and my unit tests.

I think all these things defender is doing are basically good things, although it is a pain. I would be surprised if long term the macos doesn’t decide it, too, needs virus/trojan protection. but for now it does not have the problems.