Can you use vcv rack 2 or the original without a daw

Hi all, I have Reason daw, but wanted to ask, if you didn’t have a daw, could you somehow use it and just use your computer speakers to hear the output? Sorry, yes, a newbie question…

the regular “editions” work great with computer speakers or line out

1 Like

Thank you! My bf wants to use it and doesn’t have a daw. So he could or couldn’t add mods like premium or just use the free ones? He couldn’t use rack2, right?

1 Like

He could definitely use Rack 2 as a stand-alone tool. When you say “mods” are you referring to modules listed on https://library.vcvrack.com/? If so, there’s a massive (1,000+) library of free modules for him to use. There are only 145 modules that cost money. The paid modules are still quite affordable and are a nice way to support the module makers.

Your boyfriend may eventually want to invest in a DAW if he wants to create more traditional music. One great combination is to use VCV Rack for creating tracks, and sequencing those tracks with a DAW.

3 Likes

Rack 2 comes as a standalone program that works great with normal computer audio. It’s free. The pro version has the same standalone and also includes VST instrument/fx and pro support.

You can use thousands of free modules from VCV and third party developers available in the library, and optionally purchase some of the premium modules.

2 Likes

Great, thanks! This helps so much!

For example, I made this with free and paid modules in VCV Rack 1.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks! It’s going to be easy, or should I say inspiring and fun! Appreciated to you both. Incredibly excited so we can both create in our own ways. You both made my day!

2 Likes

Please share any sounds you make, and come back here if you have more questions

1 Like

Thanks and will do. Been waiting to do this. Just wish I had heard about this sw in 2020. I will dl rack2 and see how it operates via d drive. Have a great day!