blocked

why does windows security block my installation of vcv 2 ?

Because VCV Rack has not signed the package with a certificate chained to a root authority recognized by Windows. There is a cost to getting these kinds of certificates. For Mac, you pay a similar tax by paying Apple for a developer subscription that that provides you with a code signing key. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn’t have the equivalent dev program, but then, you can get your signing certificate from a variety of sources, and not locked into the one vendor.

You aren’t completely blocked - you just need to menu dive through the (scary-seeming) dialogs to allow it to proceed.

1 Like

While It won’t help here, MSFT introduced trusted signing (aka azure code signing) this year which from folks I know who’ve used it gives a more Apple like experience as opposed to the set of cert providers and workflows you refer to. Trusted Signing is in Public Preview - Microsoft Community Hub

2 Likes

About time, MS! Hoping Vortico and crew look into it and remove this annoyance.

Thanks. yeah i watched a video on how to allow it by going through all those scary-seeming regedit menus . I might be able to unblock it in windows settings . I will try those today . The odd thing is that I installed vcv on a different pc a few years ago without encountering this issue . Thanks for the reply . I will post if I get vcv up and running .

Thanks for all replies . I will check that out . I might have many questions about vcv . I’m happy that this forum is available and so far the members seem very cordial . Thanks again .

2 Likes

No no no! There is no need to touch the registry or change any windows settings.

If this is what you are seeing when trying to install an application:

Then just click ‘More Info’ and ‘Run Anyway’. VCV will install as expected.

4 Likes