Black image when updating artwork - Illustrator

I think your issue is that Illustrator is using CSS, which isn’t supported by nanoSVG. Perhaps illustrator has settings to not do this.

Snip of your SVG:

<style type="text/css">
	.st0{fill:url(#rect9_00000088119640576666269950000001984487753547039400_);}
	.st1{fill:#B95627;}
	.st2{fill:#1F1F1F;}
</style>
<rect x="-3.9" y="-5" class="st1" width="41.1" height="389.7"/>

The class and style are simply ignored by nanoSVG, so your fills end up as black.

2 Likes

yeah. I tried to find that old post about the “right” settings.

Of course there are setting. I just don’t remember what the right ones are: image

The Inkscape site says Ventura broke GTK3 keyboard handling, thus all apps that use GTK3. Likely affects GIMP as well. This is a temporary state of affairs – according to the site it’s being worked on.

If true, that’s kind of unfortunate for ppl who use those products. According to Wikipedia: " it was announced at WWDC 2022 on June 6, 2022, and launched on October 24, 2022."

That’s a pretty long time time to let your product not work…

Thanks everyone - Inkscape is working ok for me so far. What needs to be done to get an image to work? It’s not showing up at all. Typically in Illustrator the process would be to rasterize it, but it seems Inkscape recognized it as raster already. (I think…)

Do you mean a non svg image, like an jpg or a png ?

EDIT : like fonts should be rendered to path … those kind of things ?

That’s the thing with open source. getting fixes depends on a volunteer or someone paying a maintainer for a fix. No idea how well GTK is funded or managed. Probably interesting to see the tracking issue for that…

You can flip it and say what kind of OS company breaks huge swaths of applications with a new release. Apple is notorious for breaking apps on new releases. Microsoft has historically bent over backwards to keep apps running (Raymond Chen’s blog has lots of compatibility horror stories). That’s not to say that they don’t sometimes break apps – they do, and occasionally even don’t fix it when the apps are depending on undocumented behavior.

1 Like

To get your image to work, you have figure out how to generate an SVG that depends only on the things that nanosvg supports.

If you learn a little about SVG it is possible using a text editor to manually copy and paste the styles to inline styles on the elements referring to a style.

There are probably some tools out there to inline css refs, path-ize text and such. I know some people run scripted command line Inkscape in their plugin build to convert text to paths (fonts/text are one of the things that aren’t supported by nanosvg).

yes, for sure those things are true. Most of my career I’ve made applications to run in Windows or Macos. Apple are jerks, but it’s never kept any company I’ve worked for for supporting their OS in a timely manner. I’m sure you can imagine that telling a customer your app is broken and “it’s apple’s fault” is not usually going to be an effective way to help people, even if it is (arguably) true.

1 Like

Is this reply for me or @Land3r ?

I didn’t hit the right reply button - sorry about that.

The info I share on SVGs applies to anyone having challenges getting their SVGs to behave. Squinky shared a screen snip that appeared to show that Illustrator might have a way to turn off using CSS. I don’t have Illustrator to check. If you can do that it’s much better for most people than manually hacking the SVG in a text editor.

2 Likes

Yeah, and also set text to render as outlines. As I said, there used to be an easy to find set of settings to use…

Ok, got one to work from Illustrator.

Export options:

Result:

Only catch is that I changed both CSS Properties to “Style Attributes” and unchecked “responsive”.

Going to try with an image again next…

1 Like

This one doesn’t count

I think this thread should be moved to Development.

1 Like

Thanks - will do.

1 Like

If someone is struggling with Illustrator export:

Check the output fewer <tspan> elements Option!

1 Like