Bitwig 3 Anounced and, yes it developed its Modular aspect!

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHHbV8Zw4g

i am huge BW user… this is a welcomed addition! Looking forward to seeing how it can develop my VCV tracks

2 Likes

For me as for Bitwig license owner it’s an awesome addition and I’m happy that finally they are adding the feature they are promised for at the Bitwig start. But at the same time it’s a bit scary, because I’m afraid that it can impact my interest to VCV Rack - now Bitwig has very similar features and they are integrated TOO good with Bitwig linear timeline.
I’m a Linux user and honestly, for me there is not so much choices for music production: Renoise, Bitwig, VCV Rack. Not counting Ardour, LMMS and Tracktion Waveform here because of their unpleasant UI and UX.
I hope that we will learn some good tricks from this new Bitwig’s Grid system, adopt some of them to VCV and make it even better. At least, I will try to help to do it.
Praise Rack developers for deciding to make Rack an open-source software, the good they has done should return to them in amplified amounts :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yet another development that really makes me want to buy Bitwig.

I’m a little turned off by their pricing scheme, though. The idea of paying $170 USD every year to continue getting updates feels a little weird, and…not cheap, honestly.

1 Like

I love Bitwig, but I am always trying to work around that timeline. It is too hard find a DAW that isn’t linear. I guess Rack and Max are the closest that I use. I crave the convenience and tools of a DAW, but with low-level frequency and temporal flexibility.

Despite all that though, Bitwig is the most intuitive conventionally DAW-like soft I have tried.

I’m a little turned off by their pricing scheme, though. The idea of paying $170 USD every year to continue getting updates feels a little weird, and…not cheap, honestly.

I bought someone’s used license on KVR (there’s people regularly selling there, worth looking into for saving $$), which gave me about 9 months of updates. There were some cool features added during that time, like the Phase-4 synth that I find deep and great-sounding. When my license expired, I just kept on using my version of Bitwig, and didn’t re-upgrade. Some cool upgrade features have come out since like a full sampler overhaul, but I’m more than happy continuing to use what I have. Once Bitwig 3 officially hits, I’ll upgrade, and it’ll be well worth it. But yeah, just because there are upgrades, it doesn’t mean you have to upgrade as soon as your license runs out - just upgrade when something really indispensable arrives :slight_smile: I find this model pretty reasonable, and Bitwig adding new significant features every few months is actually pretty nice to see.

I love Bitwig, but I am always trying to work around that timeline. It is too hard find a DAW that isn’t linear.

I’m curious about the upcoming “Clip Blocks” in Bitwig 2.5 for exactly this reason - I don’t fully understand the concept yet, but seems like it’s a way of introducing non-linearity to clip launching. But I’m also surprised to see that non-linearity in the clip launcher already exists, which Polarity shows off here. Bitwig still uses the linear timeline metaphor, but it’s good to see there are options for building things up outside of that which allow for stochastic processes. Between non-linear clip block launching in 2.5 and the sequencer modules in 3.0, there should be plenty to work with.

This is a good perspective. I’ve never thought about it that way, but now I think it just might be worth getting a license. I played with the demo a few weeks back and was very impressed.

2 Likes

Not to mention you’re tied to their activation servers. Killed the deal for me entirely.

BW 3 is out… and its INSANE… hope Rack v1 takes some cues…

Automated cables are amazing… such an intelligent workflow… these features would be amazing in Rack

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned, I’m done with DAWs.
VCV (combined with Reaktor) has everything I need :smiley:

2 Likes

Now Bitwig 4 is out with new features, e.g. Operators:

What do you think?

1 Like