Best way to quantize 10 volts into 8 or 16 equal steps?

I’m looking for the most convenient way to divide 10v into 8 or 16 equal parts, preferrably with just one module, but which?

1 Like

Thanks!

But I want something to use like a quantizer.

What I want to do is take a step sequencer and have the output quantized to 8 or 16 steps to drive the buffer of “It’s good cholesterol” and rearrange it in rhythmically quantised steps.

1 Like

(or maybe subtract one for driving the buffer ? )

1 Like

You could use ARR and set ‘Snap to’ to Fractions: 1/16 or 1/8 and sequence its poly output with Phi which will give you a similar functionality as ADDR.

2 Likes

I came up with this now, using a range of 1V through an equal division quantizer and multiplying it by 10 afterwards.

(“oh, peas!” is set to 8, divisions, but has a graphics glitch when set to 8 and displays 7 instead @computerscare )

Using Formula looks like a very nice solution with just 1 module, and it’s really cool that ARR has this feature with snap to fractions. Need to check out both of those modules.

5 Likes

The NORS-IQ divides any interval of up to 4 volts into even subdivisions, and then you can specify integral multiples of that basic subdivision for the interval between each scale step.

So in your case, activate the Equal Divs button and set the Interval Unit to Volts. Divide 10V by 4 to get 2.5V for the pseudo-oct interval, and then 16 steps divided by 4 to get 4 for the number of equal divisions. Then set the scale length to 1 and the step 1 interval multiple to 1 for 16 steps in 10V, or 2 for 8 steps in 10V. Keep the Root at 0V.

Put your input voltage into the IN port, and the quantized value will be at the Out port.

3 Likes

Wow, very nice module! Need to keep that in mind in case I want to explore some unorthodox tunings again.

Yeager wins, but all other solutions are very interesting, too. Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

hello, does anyone know a solution for the other way around? i have a 16 equal step voltage and want triggers or gates or a phasor? :thinking:

This should work:

3 Likes

Wonderful, thank you for this quick answer. Will test.

this one too

3 Likes

Quick question: does this mean it can do something like 13 tones per “tritave” (tripling of frequency)? I recently learned about the Bohlen-Pierce scale.

Yep, NORS-IQ can certainly do that. There are actually six presets provided for Bohlen Pierce:

• Equal divisions per tritave
    • “Chromatic” with all 13 intervals
    • Lamda scale with 9 intervals
    • Dur mode II scale with 9 intervals
  • Just intonation
    • “Chromatic” with all 13 just intonation intervals
    • Lamda scale with 9 just intervals
    • Dur mode II scale with 9 just intervals

@MinorNoise’s first patch for the Venom Take 5 challenge used NORS-IQ with the Bohlen Pierce Lamda scale.

3 Likes

Oh wow, 4 weeks later, and I see for the first time that NORSIQ has scale presets. Thanks for the hint!