Best clock divider for long rhythmic delays?

I use clock dividers (particularly @jeremy wentworths 1Pattern & Patterns but here’s a use case:

Assuming a 16th Note input clock, I want it to trigger every 93 beats plus a 16th note. Basically a 1/1489 clock divider.

In messing around I found that Count Modula has this VC Clock Divider that is great for making tempo-synced random trigger sequences. But again that’s limited in the maximum divisor of 32. I can cascade them for longer divisions (& with VC control, change the resulting divider on the fly).

It seems like a clock divider with a longer range than 32 would be a good thing.

Or if you want to get fancy a divider in terms of whole notes, quarter notes, etc.

Hello there, might sound ridiculous… but couldn’t u divide the clock divider by a clock divider. Would that even work? I get these strange ideas every now and then! Would RGate from Bogaudio work that has 64 div and multiply?

It’s probably overkill, but you can do this using 2 channels of ShapeMaster Pro :slight_smile:

You would need to be in synced trigger mode and use the EOC and EOS outputs on the triggers expander

Make 1st channel 16 bars (64 beats) and use its EOC output to trigger the 2nd channel set to 8 bars - which is 32 beats and therefore a little too long…

So… set grid to 128 and use the sustain marker to fire an EOS trigger at 29 beats and a 16th (like in the screenshot below) for a total of 93 beats and a 16th. Use this to trigger whatever you want plus trigger channel 1 again.

Hold the Command key down to snap the sustain marker to the vertical grid-X lines. (The only reason I have connected the CV outs is to activate the 2 SM channels)

1 Like

did you try this one?

VCV Library - NYSTHI ClockMultiplier (vcvrack.com)

like here

Computerscare Laundry Soup. In order to set it up as a 93 beats plus a 16th note (93 * 16 + 1 = 1489) clock divider, just type:

<1489>

(the angle brackets are necessary) and patch your 16th note clock into it.

3 Likes

That sounds much simpler :slight_smile:

Can you explain the <1489> please?

1 Like

Yeah, Laundry Soup is a trigger/gate sequencer that uses text to “program” the sequence. If you type:

you’ll divide the incoming clock by 4. Numbers written next to each-other produce a sequence of clock divisions. For example, the text:

Will alternate between a 4-step division, and a 1-step division. Produces the pattern: x---x which is a 5-step pattern. To use divisions greater than 9 steps, you gotta surround your number in angle brackets.

There are more features, check the manual here: computerscare-vcv-modules/laundry-soup.md at master · freddyz/computerscare-vcv-modules · GitHub

3 Likes

Ah I see - so that is a trigger every 1489 16ths (93 beats + a 16th)

1 Like

Yeah, @chaircrusher included that calculation in the OP but I added it to my post to make it more clear why.

1 Like

How did you come to realise you needed a trigger every 93 beats plus a 16th, what are you doing with it?

2 Likes

and how will you know that it is really in sync (every 93 beats+16th)?

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Oh come on, you’ll definitely hear it when something is in sync with a prime number. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What about NYSTHI Janneker. You can create scenes of EOP - end of pulse. I hope I am understanding your need.

Thanks. The computer scare thing looks right up my alley!

2 Likes

Other sounds define the beat, you’ll hear it as syncopated, but on beat.

1 Like