Benjolin patch (new version 4) for VCV - Show me what you can do with it!

Finally got a chance to make and push HetrickCV 2.2.1 (build available on the repo in the next minute or two). As mentioned above, this adds a new XOR/Direct switch to control the feedback behavior. It took two months for me to find free time for this, so thanks for your patience! I’ll submit this to the library. In the meantime, let me know if you find anything weird with the pre-release build.

EDIT: 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 feature a new polyphonic Probability module. This patch is extra fun:

9 Likes

Nice!

That Probability module looks to be nearly identical in function to a Bernoulli Gate - or am I missing something?

It’s pretty similar, but I added a few modes. B Prob is the standard Bernoulli functionality where the knob sets the probability for the B output to fire. Alternate mode is also present (although slightly hidden) on Audible/Mutable Branches where probability determines whether the current output changes. Independent mode is a new mode where the Probability knob determines the probability of both outputs (so both outputs can actually fire simultaneously).

Likewise, the right control lets you choose whether the outputs are toggled, gated, or triggered.

It’s a bit large for the functionality, but it’s nice and readable instead of using the LEDs like Branches.

1 Like

You still have tiny LEDs, but I guess you mean that the pushbutton is large enough? I do confess I hate trying to click on tiny LEDs (I’m talking about you, Bogaudio!)

Sorry, I forgot that Branches doesn’t have LEDs for mode: https://pichenettes.github.io/mutable-instruments-documentation/modules/branches/manual/

In Branches, the way to tell that you are in Latch mode is that the output LED never turns off (and this might be tough to see if you’re using rapid or wide gates). You can’t tell that you’re in Toggle mode unless you test the behavior of the outputs. The idea behind the Probability module was to not only add the Independent mode, but to make the active mode visible at all times.

1 Like

Nice! oh, btw, the panel on rungler looks like there are some small mistakes? Like the black background of the “Out” is almost running into the word “direct”, even though there is plenty of space. Likewise the LEDs next to 1, 2, 3 have very thin black borders to their left - again for no reason. And the bottom part kind of crows your “brand logo”. There’s plenty of space to move all the the bottom stuff up, esc if the vircial spacing is reduced a little.

But I’m no graphic designer, so feel free to ignore :wink:

Can you please explain this in further detail? I want to do something similar in hardware using a CV mixer, but I’m unsure about the ratios (by that I mean the “weight” of each bit). For instance, if I patch an 8V gate into, let’s say, bit 6 of an 8-bit DAC, what should come out? Many thanks in advance!

A DAC has a resolution of 2^n-1 steps, where n is the amount of bits. So for 8 bits this is 255.

The weighting or ratio between the bits follows the same principle, where each bit is 2:1 higher:

1bit = 1/255 2bit = 2/255 3bit = 4/255 4bit = 8/255 5bit = 16/255 6bit = 32/255 7bit = 64/255 8bit = 128/255

So when all bits are used, you will get the maximum amount of 255.

So, in your example:

if 255/255 is 8V, then the 6th bit will be: 8V*32/255 = 1.003921(etc) V

Edit: In the Benjolin, or the Rungler, only the 3 last bits are used, forming a 3bit DAC. The ratio of this is: 1/7 2/7 4/7

1 Like

Thank you so much!!!