Befaco modules development blog

At least @hemmer 's input 2 is working. Mine isn’t :wink:

So good that you are working on the VCV versions of Befaco modules. Is there any audio of this version? I always love a Multifx module, is that what Oneiroi is? Much appreciated. Just looked on You tube.

It is a drone synth in it’s own right, what a beauty as well. Dark ambient in a module huzzah. Hopefully the licensing can be sorted out.

Sorry for the radio silence here, we’ve been working behind the scenes to make this happen. Basically the current plan is to release Oneiroi as a one-off premium module, and so we were making sure we have the proper dual licensing agreements in place with all contributors (a big task in itself).

The reason for doing this is Oneiroi is a bit different to previous modules in that it’s required a huge effort to first bring hardware and firmware to life, and then additionally the VCV port has required more than usual effort to port. By making this a premium module, we hope to fund both my time and all those involved, and to also complement and fund future VCV work for free Befaco modules. The default arrangement will be for the majority of Befaco modules to continue to be free (as in beer) and open source (GPL-v3-or-later).

In practical terms, I’ll be looking to recruit a small number (~5) of beta-testers - license keys will of course be given for all those who help out there, so DM me if you are interested in this! Thanks, and hopefully not too long until this is available :slight_smile:

19 Likes

This is another good point for VCV allowing commercial open-source plugins, to get compensation for hard work. Open-source doesn’t imply it has to be free.

People could manually build and install Befaco, but that is not realistically in reach to most, also I think the integration with the store (automatic downloads and updates) makes it all worth it.

Going the proprietary route is a bit sad, though understandable as there is not really a choice on the VCV platform.

PS: VCV calling proprietary modules “Premium” and them being distinct from “Free” and “opensource” is an awful way to present things, as if open-source plugins could never achieve “premium” status.

9 Likes

Yes all reasonable points with which I agree and “paid yet open source” would be my preference probably.

4 Likes

I’ve only heard of Oneiroi about two weeks ago and then really didn’t investigate further out of fear of disappointment and now saw this thread and topic on the top of the list and :star_struck:

YES! And you can take my money, of course, please.

1 Like

I haven’t built one yet. It’s such a complex module that I feel it is wise to wait for a board revision or two. Its complexity and depth are why, of course, it has been a huge job for you, and one which I’m entirely happy to pay for.

1 Like