BASICally: a new module for writing code within Rack

Did you revert it using update all ?

Yep. Update all or clicking on the individual update does the same thing. Is it possible that the Windows build has the wrong version in plugin.json?

Iā€™ve tried this a half dozen times.

I grabbed the files from BASICally: a new module for writing code within Rack - #42 by StochasticTelegraph

I didnā€™t touch them, other than that - I donā€™t know.

Yeah, I had the same problem with Mahlenā€™s builds, so something weird it happening. Thanks.

What OS are you on?

Win 7 SP1, haha

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry Mahlen but I have tried everything I can think of and canā€™t get the V2.0.6 plugin to install. I suspect this is the Rack bug of infinite update loops or the subscription versus selection steps in the library. I have done every combinations of remedial steps short of deleting the plugins folder.

Iā€™m going to have to bow out of testing on BASICally.

My apologies, @Andre_M, I had confirmed that the page was viewable in an incognito window, but Iā€™d not thought to confirm that one could download. @Jens.Peter.Nielsen, thanks bunches for making an alternative solution.

Yes, so, hey everyone, use Jensā€™ link to download the builds.

@k-chaffin So sorry, but I understand! Oh, to have a plugin Beta channelā€¦ I would love to have you read the docs and see if you think the design will work for you, but Iā€™d understand if you were beyond aggravated with the whole thing for now.

Iā€™ll mention (to all) that what I just tried on a fresh install of VCV on a different Windows machine was:

• delete plugins/Stochastic Telegraph directory.
  • start up VCV
  • look at the library, and it mentions Stochastic Telegraph 2.0.5 (the existing production one). Say update all. Turn off VCV.
  • It downloaded a .vcvplugin file to plugins. Replace it with the 2.0.6-b03aa17ā€¦vcvplugin file.
  • Start VCV.
  • Go to library again, and it suggests upgrading to 2.0.6-b03aa17. Say update all. Close VCV.
  • Re-open VCV, add BASICally module, and Info indicates version 2.0.6-ā€¦, and typing ā€œwhen start() out1 = 3 end whenā€ compiles.

But, yeahā€¦a beta/test channel would be cool, no?

2 Likes

Those are basically the steps I performed multiple times. I think this is a VCV problem of some type, but who knows.

I will look at the documentation and give feedback.

1 Like

Good news! My problem was of my own making and misunderstanding. I do not update plugins too often from Github actions and I did have my 71st birthday last week. All I had to do was unzip the win.zip file that was downloaded and put the resulting ā€œ.vcvpluginā€ file in my plugins folder.

Now I am up to date with BASICally V2.0.6

Sorry for my confusion and senior moment :wink:

I spoke too soon. No matter what I do, after Rack lets me update to BASICally 2.0.6 beta, the installed version is 2.0.5 .This leads me to think that it is something to do with the VCV library and subscriptions, but Iā€™m out of ideas what the solution is. Sorry.

I remember, I was trying to install Firoā€™s Yolow collection from Github few month ago and had the similar problem. Sadly, I still do not know what could be the problem and we couldnā€™t fix it back then too. But I am half your age, so itā€™s not a ā€œsenior momentā€ at all, haha. It just happens sometimes, randomly, it seems

1 Like

Yeah, it must be a library thing. I can get V2.0.6 installed and verified in the plugin.json file, but the next time I launch Rack, it reverts the StochasticTelegraph plugin.json to 2.0.5 .

If anyone knows the workaround to this problem, please let me know.

Okay, I am good to go with BASICally V2.6.0 and the example scripts are compiling fine.

The key issue for me was that Rack wanted to give me the opportunity to downgrade StochasticTelegraph back to V2.5.0 . The only way to get V2.6.0 to persist was for me never to hit Update 2.6.0->2.5.0 or Update All.

I donā€™t really understand this, but I have seen it before and seen it discussed before here in the community. I may search and review what was said, or I may just avoid doing Update All until the release version 2.0.6 is in the library.

Yeahā€¦ I actually prefer the non-library collections for that reason. They just donā€™t bother me with updates. If I want to update, I go to github and download the latest build.

Meanwhile!

I am doing the simple priority script. I really like how simple the code could be with this thing

Reporting no issues, btw. For now. It works very smoothly.

***Yesterday I was thinking how cool it would be to have an internal trigger function. Now I canā€™t remember what it was all about

1 Like

So far, I just have the 3 example scripts running and behaving as I think they should:

1 Like

What I mean by internal trigger is something like this:

on trigger do this (when trigger) if something = something then do trigger

et voila

I donā€™t remember what it was all about, yeahā€¦ But it was something cool! WHat a shame that I donā€™t rememberā€¦ And trigger was needed there, for some reason!

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty much where I am. I donā€™t remember what I wanted to do with BASICally :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, hahaha. Well, it is a nice module, I know what I want to do and I am doing it. But I also donā€™t remember the side-thoughts. Like while doing something I think about stuff ā€œOh this is a cool idea! What if there was an internal trigger to do that!ā€ - and then I just donā€™t remember anything except ā€œWhat ifā€¦ā€, hahaha

1 Like

I think I basically wanted to do whatever I could dream up, but in particular, I wanted to control parameter automation and sequencing via events. I will give some thought as to whether I can do an event queue and event handler now.

1 Like