basic question re: audio into VCV Rack [Solved]

I have a Focusrite 4i4 that I use for my system sound on a Mac Mini M1. It seems to be correctly configured, and Rack’s Audio 8 and Audio 2 appear to recognize it. Audio output from Rack is fine, no problems at all, but I can’t get audio from the Focusrite into VCV Rack. My guitar is correctly attached to the Focusrite, the signal is clear. It’s just not getting to VCV Rack.

I’m new to how this is done on a Mac, I’m sure I’m missing something. All and any suggestions are appreciated.

You say that your Focusrite 4i4 hardware is recognized in vcv, Does that mean that you can see it on the list of available drivers when you right click on the audio module to select the input?

Can you post a screenshot of your patch? A few numpty questions: (obviously you’re not an idiot, but just to rule out a few things!)

Are you using ASIO drivers that support in/out? Are you using the ‘from device’ output on the Audio module into a mixer? Does the output in the ‘from device’ correspond to the right physical input on your interface (if it has more than one - mine has two and I’ve scratched my head a few times wondering why I can’t hear anything).

Cheers,

Ed

1 Like

@REDACT3D and @VirtualModular - Thank you for your replies, I figured out that there was permissions issue. The problem is resolved, I now have my guitar routed into VCV Rack. Regarding the permissions thing: the Mac’s funny that way. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

Ah! Mic permissions!

1 Like

Yeah threw me too (trying to get things to recognise the attached Mic) after coming back to MacOS after a while on the other side of the fence…

Ah, I’m on Windows but glad you got it working. I have a slight obsession for running guitar though rack so I’m always interested to see what other people do with this! Let us know how you get on.

That old chestnut. It doesn’t help that “Microphone” in this context means “all and any audio input”.

2 Likes

Yeah, bit of a macOS “quirk” that one, they should have just called it audio input.

This post just helped me so much, thank you!

Well I’ll be dammned… Thank you so much for posting about this and the solution. had the same issue. For those that want step by step: Mac Settings > Privacy & Security > Scroll down to find VCV Rack and Toggle that sucker on.