Audio Output problem

Why, when I play some downloaded patches, do I get nothing but static, or random clicks, BUT when I add a REC module to the patch and record during the clicks and static am able to hear the actual patch output later when playing the recording?

Do you have a link to such a downloaded patch, or could you upload one for somebody else to test ?

do you choose the right audio driver in the audio module,
bevor you play the patch?

I’d check the block size in the AUDIO module. That seems consistent with too small a block size. It sounds awful “live”, but recordings are okay.

My default block size for new patches is 1024, but when I change outputs (like switching from speakers to the headphone jack) it automatically changes to 256, which is super-annoying.

1 Like

Agreed. The audio modules are not the most userfriendly and often trip you up. For example:

• Every OS has the notion of a default or current audio interface. Why ever have the Rack audio module select no interface, instead of just defaulting to the OS default?
  • Why does the audio module not respect the last chosen blocksize, resolution etc. and keep that until next manually changed?

It can be annoying and there’s SO many user-errors/reports simply because of no audio interface chosen…

If I’m swapping headphones, I’ll select “no interface” so that the speakers don’t start blasting it out, then go back to headphones when I plug the new ones in. Otherwise, Rack will freeze up until I Quit and restart it. But that’s a bug of a different sort.

Why does the audio module not respect the last chosen blocksize, resolution etc. and keep that until next manually changed?

Preaching to the choir here. I mentioned that in a recent poll - [POLL] which improvements would you like to see most in vcv? - #107 by john_rose