Arturia Minilab MkII - is it ok with VCV Rack?

Glad it’s worked out for you! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello I bought a Minilab too and used it with PILE to manage endless knobs within VCV Rack. If it can help have fun

A last note on this, after some time using it.

There is a bit of awkwardness (no more than that) with the Knob Absolute/Relative knob settings. In Absolute mode, they work with MIDI-CC and MIDI-CAT. best with MIDI-CAT because of all the extra utlities, locking parameters, custom labels etc. Once you have twiddled all the knobs, the CC values are picked up.

The difficulty is when you change patches. The minilab knobs remember their CC values - but of course you can’t see them because of their endless nature. So when the new patch starts up, you do have to twiddle the knobs to pick up the values. MIDI-CAT has three useful modes for this pickup, but in practice your going to loose your settings saved with patch.

The ideal thing would be Relative mode, so the knobs only change the value from it’s read-in-setting. It’s no doubt that @stoermelder 's MIDI-STEP and PILE give the best result, but you’d need 16 individual PILE modules to map all the knobs using relative mode.

Not a complaint or a call to action. Just a note that might be helpful. Although if a version of PILE with 16 I/Os is in the pipeline, then I’d be delighted for one…

hello

I did use polyphonic connection between MIDI STEP & PILE

Have fun

Ah ha. I missed that. Now that’s actually brilliant.

I still can’t see the knob values very easily. Picky, picky. Off in search of some kind of indicator panel…

upload this patch via STRIP to your patch I did connect the knobs to a voltmeter :stuck_out_tongue:

Arturia.vcvss (10.0 KB)

have fun

That STRIP file crashed rack unfortunately, but I get the idea. I should have read the manual for POLY-PILE :smile:

But…there’s been a lot of things to read

Can you provide the log-file for this crash? Works fine on my side an I’d like to check whats wrong here…

Here is the log:

log.txt (68.1 KB)

I quickly reworked my minilab module in reverse - so the knobs now show the voltage on the input. There’s probably better ways to indicate it, but I think this idea covers all the bases. The Arturia knobs work nicely in Relative mode, the patch doesn’t lose its saved values and you can see what the value is.

I couldn’t find an equivalent ‘Indicator Panel’ module on first look, bet there is one.

I don’t own this MIDI controller but usually this is what MIDI feedback is for: initializing your controller with values of the mapped parameters. Does it not work when you select your controller as output device in MIDI-CAT?

Thanks, I will check what’s wrong.

I did try that, but it didn’t seem to do anything. Could be I don’t know what the right settings are. I just chose the same midi controller and the same channel (for the output). In many ways I prefer this new idea - for one thing the adjustment feels smoother. That may be because of the tweakable step value in PILE.

That is strange, it should work choosing the same device and channel. As I said I don’t own this device so I can’t really check. I own a Arturia BSP so I will test there.
Actually, in the next update of PackOne MIDI-CAT will finally have adjustable smoothing, a long requested feature. But you’re right, for endless knobs MIDI-STEP fits much better :slight_smile:

hum, strange, this was taken from a patch I did a couple of months back and I can still open it. I hope Ben @stoermelder will figure it out with the log file.

now you have the idea to save space, modules & cpu with polyphony :stuck_out_tongue:

have fun

Update - the Arturia.vcvss worked after I subscribed to NYSTHI, because I was searching for a multi-volt display.

This is pretty good, although O/P #1 comes out as polyphonic. It does seem to work e.g. into the mixer. I guess that depends on module it’s going into to pick channel 1.

If only Graphic Meter had custom labels

1 Like

Here we are, inspired by that idea. I didn’t know it would be so easy to handle a polyphonic input. Not sure it’s legit to use knobs/params in this way i.e. by setting the param value in code and using the knob as an indicator but it does appear to work.

…and with a bit of optimising, only 0.1% cpu

@Soxsa - is your module source code availabe somewhere on github or similar?

Not at the minute. If it’s for ‘diagnosis’ then I could put something on git without the manual etc etc.

If it’s to use then it was a re-coding of an original idea and code kindly shared by @OmerLiebermann now publishing in the library as https://library.vcvrack.com/?brand=MpSeries so I think he is going to handle it (Omer I’ll get in touch)

Looking at it now, it all seems so straightforward. But the first dip into a new API is always aaaaaagggh I find. I feel like writing some more utilities now - like a module with 8 attenuvertors with offset. I seem to use lots of them in every patch.

1 Like

The latest incarnation, hopefully more in the spirit of Rack. With POLY-PILE connected, the outputs take their voltages from the Minilab knobs and the Rack Knobs don’t do anything. With it disconnected, the knobs control the voltages in the conventional way.

So I can use this three ways: Minilab + MIDI-STEP + PILE, or with MIDI-MAP directly to the knobs, or standalone to use it as an on-screen control panel for things I want to change routinely in a patch.

I like it anyway!

1 Like