Array of float to byte for storage in patchfile?

One of my modules stores an array of float to the patchfile. Currently the size of the array is limited to 96000 but this is quite a random number and I want to loose it eventually.
The module saves only used array cells to JSON and I’ve implemented a super stupid compression but the patchfile can get quite big, especially when using more instances of my module.

The question: Is it a good idea to convert the array of floats to an array of byte to avoid the overhead involved with JSON? I’ve seen trivial solutions using an union:

union Float {
    float    m_float;
    uint8_t  m_bytes[sizeof(float)];
};

I don’t mind implementing it, I’m just worried about any platform specific problems. Will the patchfile still be useable on all supported platforms of Rack?
I have only little knowledge about platform-independent development but I know these things can be quite a pain sometimes.

What does your module do?

It’s a recorder for “automation” of knobs/sliders/switches.

There is no good way to store 100k values in a patch. So you should avoid the problem and use a much smaller sample rate to store your signal. 30-60 Hz would be enough.

Currently its default setting is to store each 128th sample, so 375Hz at 48kHz. I guess I will leave it this way and adjust the default setting as most users won’t care anyway.

Besides that, I just noticed I can’t do it this way because it’s samplerate dependent. Bugfixing-time…

Thank you anyway for thinking about it!