Are devs leaving? (minor thread broken out from other one)

Mix-etc Masters are the bee’s knees @steve and @marc_boule . Definitely plugged a hole in the one -stop solution to mix down a track. Very close to a real mixing desk in so many ways that it is mind boggling. and the ShapeMaster (Pro) and BassMaster indeed are awesome additions that can plug many more holes (if there is such a thing in a modular synth o_O ) That is one row of my virtual Rack for just those mix/master down to final out devices… Custom template patches are great for that. All set up and ready to go for any patching session

3 Likes

looking so much forward to those. Surge Rotary is one of my default send effects, great for Bass (Phil Lesh inspired)

2 Likes

The only thing I thought the MindMeld MixMaster was missing had been there all along it just took me to finally RTFM to notice it! :slight_smile:

FWIW it was not immediately obvious to me how to get audio from the individual tracks into the Audio-16 for output to discrete DAW tracks, but then I finally noticed all the polyphonic outputs (and inputs) that had been staring at me in my stupid face all along. So maybe what I need is a new brain, but I don’t imagine any module you build could fix that for me.

As for module developers it’s a real shame that in the hardware eurorack world a number of big name makers like WMD and, just heard today Hexinverter, are finding it so hard to source components that they’re throwing in the towel on hardware modular. Could they be enticed over to VCV to share or sell some of their module concepts here? I have WMD’s Arpitecht and I’d love a VCV version to play with so I could try ideas out on it.

1 Like

use the direct outs on the mixer and run them through split modules into the audio-16?

1 Like

@Steve Thanks for your contribution to VCV. ShapeMaster Pro was one of my first paid modules. I use MindMeld on every single patch.

Speaking of plugging holes, I’ve often wished for a quad version of MixMaster. Perhaps a MixMaster Pro sometime in the future? Currently my quad patches require a huge row of modules for every stereo channel I mix in quad (a pair of Nysthi Quad panners for stereo input, plus a plethora of utility and routing modules). MixMaster in quad would make this so much cleaner.

I’d also love to see ShapeMaster Pro add CV control for individual columns or points on a curve. This way I can perform the shapes using an external MIDI controller.

Excited for the Surge XT release. Happy to beta test (Mac M1) if you need!

3 Likes

In my case, the development is driven by my own needs. I think that I have already a good set of foundational modules: oscillators, filters, envelopes. I think that I can build most of the ideas I have for patches using a small set of the existing modules (plus a few script using the VCV Prototype).

On top of the foundational modules I have a bunch of “composed” modules. Those modules may have no end; I could keep adding more features, more functionality, more of everything. That’s why I prefer to keep the scope constrained.

@chaircrusher I have some nice analog FM oscillators. I think that it would not be that difficult to model and solve the equations for the mutual feedback. I will play with the oscillators and if I get hooked on the results I may try to model them.

It is important to remember that I spent almost one year developing the VCV Drums. So I may be working on things that may not see the light of day for a long time.

Me and @pyer are working on more modules for the Geodesics Vultiverse. However, the process of refinement there is a bit slow since we do a lot of iterations to do the things as good as possible. Just last week I developed some nice algorithms for one specific purpose that I won’t reveal.

My work on hardware has been stealing a lot of time that I used to dedicate to software. Last month I released the Anima and Feigen ports. Currently I’m preparing to build the next batch of Freak modules.

Lastly, I have my real job at Wolfram. We are preparing a big release that it’s going to include the culmination of a project that I have been developing for the last 3-4 years.

Stressful days…

19 Likes

I know I’m repeating myself here, but it’s hard to overstate how much of an impact devs like @vortico @modlfo @steve @martinl1968 @pyer @marc_boule @Ahornberg @Squinky @stoermelder and all the rest of you have had on the music scene. Along with educators like @Omri_Cohen, your generosity has opened up modular synthesis to tens of thousands of people like me who could’ve never accessed it otherwise.

I’m so grateful for all of the effort you’ve put in, the quality of your work, your attention to detail and your generosity. I’ve tried to share back as much as I can buy buying commercial modules etc. but it’s just a fraction of the gratitude I feel. If we ever meet in person, drinks are on me.

32 Likes

@modlfo I don’t expect you to jump right on my request for modeling of analog FM modeling. You were just the guy I thought might be in the best position to actually do the simulation, since that’s how you work and what you’ve done in the past.

I’d pay for a FM model that got the full Leonardo treatment. At this point I’ve run out of (Rack) things I could buy.

And high-mod-index FM always has a point past which it will sound like crap. Analog oscillators seem to sound like different crap than the ones in Rack. Both Bogaudio & Squinky start getting that sharp, high-midrange distortion if you use FM with feedback.

1 Like

Not many. Sure, a couple have, but I know many are quietly tinkering away.

1 Like

As a newer developer here, I wanted to chime in and say I’m also very grateful for all the heavy hitters who have gone before me, whose work I benefit from greatly. I can’t even fathom how many thousands of collective hours have gone into this whole deal.

I’m having a blast learning about modular synthesis with VCV Rack. The combination of software quality and module quantity is impressive by commercial standards, and downright rare by open source standards.

It’s also valuable to me that I have this kick-butt testbed in which I can tinker with DSP and audio synthesis ideas. I used to write command-line programs that generated WAV files. Interesting, but not nearly as interactive and educational. Even if I’m the only one who ends up using the modules I create, that’s fine with me; VCV Rack + SDK is a tremendous force multiplier for my experiments.

6 Likes

I’m currently working with Pyer on the complete redesign of the Surge modules for the Surge XT release which will hopefully be later this year. Can’t say too much about that except I think it’s going to make a significant impact when it drops with some new stuff not seen in Rack before. I expect it will be something like 30+ modules.

See and here I was just about to hop in this thread and also leak this news. Ha!

one thousand from me!

1 Like

You mean in the last year since vcv 2.0 came out there are lot of OG devs making stuff, it’s just taken more than a year to finish it? Could be.

In the nearly a year since VCV 2 came out most devs have updated their plugins to version 2. If nothing else that would suggest to me that they aren’t “leaving”.

Further, if a dev hasn’t updated recently it isn’t a sign they’re leaving. It’s a sign they might have less time, are using VCV differently, etc. To call it leaving, I’d think they’d be announcing that they’re no longer developing like you yourself did, or not updating at all. If anything, some relatively quiet devs have recently released updates to version 2 or responded to user bugs with a fix and we thank them for it.

6 Likes

I don’t think I’ve been around long enough to make squinky’s OG dev list but I’m still here :blush:. I’ve been perhaps less active because:

a) just had a kid so very little time b) taking some of that time to read/learn about harder topics (circuit modelling, filters) c) working on my own projects (which can take longer than hardware clones)

Ecosystem seems very healthy to me, maybe there’s just a natural breather after the V2 porting work?

10 Likes

congrats!!

2 Likes

Back in the day when I used to run Dialup BBSes, and then later in the Forum era, I always had “Don’t be an A**” as one of the forum rules. It never actually worked, but banning the true butts fixed most of the problems. Of course, that was back before people had 200+ throw-away emails to use to register for sites.

Unfortunately for the world we are now plagued by butt bots :slight_smile:

Well not here thankfully, wider social media.

I find myself using a lot of Bogaudio’s stuff. Omri Cohen’s tutorials and fixed racks lean quite heavily on the Bogaudio modules, and I’m only at the “following tutorials” stage in my VCV journey. I thought it would be reasonably easy (based on having used Reason for years), and boy was I wrong. At least in software there’s no way to make the modules release their magic smoke.

In the end, we really can only be responsible for our own words and actions. I think it is a good thing to question ourselves as to what we can each do to make this community more of what we find constructive and less of what we find destructive. That is probably different for each of us.

I think it is always good to ask ourselves who we have not made welcome here. There are large numbers of peoples who are underrepresented here, as in for example half of the population. There must be a reason for that.

Most professionals are fairly diplomatic and tend to not burn their bridges. We can ask people about their motivations, but, we may not find uncomfortable truths in their answers.

All I can do is try to be kind and welcoming. I may be blind to how I come across in reality. If I am being toxic or hostile are just generally unhelpful, let me know, preferably by PM.

5 Likes