API warning with .setChannels(16) ?

I’ve been prototyping a new module and have cause for the following code:

outputs[POLY_CHANNELS_OUTPUT].setChannels(16);

Pretty sure this is legit but the compiler spits out:

C:/.../Rack-SDK/include/engine/Port.hpp: In member function 'virtual void MyModule::process(const rack::engine::Module::ProcessArgs&)':
C:/.../Rack-SDK/include/engine/Port.hpp:163:14: warning: array subscript 16 is above array bounds of 'float [16]' [-Warray-bounds]
  163 |    voltages[c] = 0.f;
      |    ~~~~~~~~~~^
C:/.../Rack-SDK/include/engine/Port.hpp:18:9: note: while referencing 'rack::engine::Port::<unnamed union>::voltages'    
   18 |   float voltages[PORT_MAX_CHANNELS] = {};
      |         ^~~~~~~~

Looks like a bug in the API right? Or am I missing something?

Maybe show us your code, so we can help.

The channel index is 0 based. So for 16 channels, the index can go from 0 to 15. Your use of index 16 is out of bounds, I think.

I don’t believe that is the case, if I use the code outputs[POLY_CHANNELS_OUTPUT].setChannels(15); then there are only 15 channels output, I have tested this using the VCV Split module.

The API docs also indicate that this int value is not zero based, because zero has a defined meaning: VCV Rack API: rack::engine::Port Struct Reference

The arrays will always be 0 based indices. But, I could be wrong on this. Obviously, something is wrong though.

For clarity;

the code outputs[POLY_CHANNELS_OUTPUT].setChannels(16); does work, it does what I want, it makes the output send 16 channels, but it also generates the warning (its not an error).

Its not really a big deal, but it could indicate there are other undiscovered bugs lurking in the API related to the number of channels.

While you are correct that arrays are zero indexed, array sizes do not align with their index

ie; [0, 1, 2].size = 3

1 Like

maybe write

int channels = 16;
outputs[POLY_CHANNELS_OUTPUT].setChannels(channels);

my modules do have true 16 channels polyphony

Yeah, but I think your error is in the following line:

[16] is invalid.

This is setChannels() from Port.hpp

void setChannels(int channels) {
		// If disconnected, keep the number of channels at 0.
		if (this->channels == 0) {
			return;
		}
		// Set higher channel voltages to 0
		for (int c = channels; c < this->channels; c++) {
			voltages[c] = 0.f;
		}
		// Don't allow caller to set port as disconnected
		if (channels == 0) {
			channels = 1;
		}
		this->channels = channels;
	}

this->channels = PORT_MAX_CHANNELS = 16

so the loop for (int c = channels; c < this->channels; c++) { … } will never be executed when channels = 16

1 Like

Yeah, it all depends on how voltages[c] is being used.

[off-topic]

I never understood why PORT_MAX_CHANNELS is limited to 16. Just imagine what we could do with 1024 channels per cable.

One could compile a custom version of the Rack with more than 16 channels. But IMO most polyphonic modules can’T handle more than 16 channels.

Yep, but bound to be due to the MIDI spec.

Looking at Port.hpp it’s pretty clear there is a flaw, of sorts. If you ever called setChannels with a big number it would happily accept it. Then, if you later called it with a different number it would index into that array with (big number - 1) and presumably crash.

Of course if you never call it with a silly value that won’t happen. Still, perhaps setChannels should rejects out of range numbers. Presumably a negative number would be a catastrophe.

1 Like

And I never understood why MIDI was limited to 16 channels (at least before MIDI 2.0).

the desire to make a note-on message fit into two or three bytes.

2 Likes

So is this a classic off-by-one?

should be

for (int c = channels; c <= this->channels; c++) {

or

for (int c = channels; c < this->channels + 1; c++) {

?

No, the code is correct. The goal of this loop is to set the voltages of all unused channels to zero. If all channels are used (e.g. in case of your module), there’s nothing to do, and therefore the body of the loop will never be executed.

If your module uses 15 channels, then the body of the loop will be executed once for the 16th channel.

Btw. you can suppress specific compiler warnings or use workarounds (see Module.hpp, lines 228-230).

No, I don’t think so. Look at that loop and imagine what would happen if this->channels == 2000, or even worse this->channels == -1. I think the code works fine, as long as a plugin never sets the channels to something crazy.

Yes, the code is correct, but it would be robust, too, if setChannels rejected out of range numbers. That’s that what the warning is saying - the compiler doesn’t know that the caller never sets the channels to a bad value.

1 Like

My preferred method of handling this would be to use an assertion, I don’t see the point of having code like that in anything other than a debug build, but then a lot of my career involved counting clock cycles in real time code when things ran at MHz as opposed to GHz.