Anyone care to share tips/tricks for producing human style velocity in generative patches?

Recently started creating generative patches with MIDI output and because velocity is one of the available inputs started me thinking of asking here for a steer on modules and/or techniques that help produce interesting and non-robotic sounding velocity patterns rather than just go for some default level or just using a constant level +/- some sample and hold random amount.

Any suggestions, especially example patches, gratefully received.

For a piano, I’m typically using one of Vult’s Caudal + some Attenuator and merge three of its outputs to polyphonic velocity. Serves me well…

2 Likes

I often use Mockbas SHEight set to 0-10V and switch all channels to the polyphonic output. Then I use a polyphonic Attenuverter for modulating the range and offset of all modulated channels.

Additional Tip: You can use the new SLEWD Expander for the SHEight to simulate aftertouch as well. And if you want to get even more humanized sequences you could also modulate the gate-length, for example with Bogaudio DGATE or MLs Trigger Delay.

4 Likes

Correction: DGATE and MLs Trigger Delay are not working as I thought. The CV Input on the ML trigger delay is not polyphonic, so the better way to modulate gate-length across all polyphonic channels differently is to use something like BOGaudio RGATE - which CV-Input for gate-length is actually polyphonic.

You could use LFOs mixed together to modulate things. The attached patch shows one way (of many) to do something like that.

three lfos.vcv (8.5 KB)

In the patch, the top three LFOs are mixed together and the output voltage of that is put into a sample and hold, which then goes into a VCA, affecting the loudness of some noise.

Another LFO triggers an ADSR to play a “pattern”, and another LFO, which is 1/16 lower in frequency, “resets” all the other LFOs, starting the pattern again.

If you play with the top three LFOs, or modulate their frequencies with something else, you can get some variations in the pattern. Edit: Forgot to say, though I’ve used the SIN outputs on all three of the top LFOs, you don’t need to limit yourself to just the SIN outputs.

Of course, you would normally do the timing / resetting with some clock modules / clock dividers, but just using the stock plugins here.

Can apply this to modulating other things, not just a VCA.

Added another version of the patch using a VCO and a Liquid Filter for more interest: selfing three lfos rippled.vcv (10.6 KB)

2 Likes

Hello everyone Omri Cohen has done a video on this topic-‘Humanizing your patches’- it will be listed on his area. Hope that helps!?

How to humanize patches in VCV Rack | Patchstorage

1 Like