Announcing: Sapphire Frolic, Tricorder, Tin

I just added an issue to consider that! Thank you.

1 Like

Yeah - I posted that comment before I watched either video. Just reading the description had me excited. I now see you already have great user control. Just CV control is missing. A 2nd expander might be nice so that CV control can work with Tin or Frolic.

One other thing to consider would be support for polyphony. Maybe different colors for each channel?

I thought about polyphony but I was already concerned about the graphics overhead per call to step(). I’m also not sure how easy it would be to view the multiple signals mixed into one 3D space.

Currently if you feed in a polyphonic signal, I add all the voltages from all the channels into a single X, Y, or Z value. Some people might find that useful as a simple mixer.

I also currently use different colors to help distinguish depth from the viewer on the single curve I plot. I’m not sure how much that helps perceive depth, but I felt like I needed to try.

Makes perfect sense. Polyphony would be great, but I understand how it could be problematic.

I love the new modules!

1 Like

It is funny how much we all seem to like Tricorder with Tin. That was the first thing I had to try by sending in the the 3 fBm outputs from Meander. It did not look quite like I imagined it, but that may be due to the sampling frequency in Tin or Tricorder. What is the sampling frequency.

I love all of your modules.

1 Like

Tricorder receives audio data at whatever sample rate your patch is running. But it only updates the graph when the drawLayer method is called, which appears to be the video frame rate, 30 Hz, 60 Hz, or whatever you have in your VCV Rack settings.

The rule is that I keep updating the current point, but once it is more than 0.1 volts away from the previous point, I put a new segment on the front of the “snake”. At the same time, I fade a segment out from the back of the snake. So hopefully it looks fairly smooth at whatever your video frame rate is, while also allowing the snake to grow nice and twisty.

1 Like

I’ve been using it with the same outputs I send into RGBMatrix. It would be nice to have cv for coloring the lines. Just to make it look nicer.

Yes! Congratulations. I’ve been excited to check this out since you said that this was your next project.

I don’t want to hijack your announcement, but I posted a worthless, but tangentially related and maybe entertaining topic in the Lounge about drawing snakes!

new immediate drone tone done :smiley: very nice

Oh this looks and sounds wonderfully. Can not wait to try this. :star_struck:

OK, so clicking & moving my mouse on the black display allows me to manually turn the object in 3D space.

But how to enable the automatic spinning again?

in his video he explains it, click on any of the >> symbols in the plot window to get it to rotate again…

1 Like

Ugh… I missed that. Thank you!

1 Like

:smiley:

11 Likes

Of course I had to build an Etch-a-Sketch :wink:

7 Likes

Yeah, fBm 1/f time correlated noise was probably not the best thing to start with. There are so many fun and useful things to do with the Tricorder. Even to display a finite Hilbert space of musical states.

There are so many possibilities for future capabilities, such as drawing a 3D point cloud, building a Monte Carlo simulation… Some use cases would require a triggered input sampler.

a short video with 4 different tricorders:

I like the ochd as input for tricorder,

here is the patch:

2023_10_31_Test_Tricorder_rsmus7_01.vcv (21.3 KB)

6 Likes

@rsmus7 that short video needs be longer! I’m looking forward to trying this when I get a chance, amazing work :slight_smile:

I absolutely love these new modules, great work! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes