Announcement: VCO-101 almost ready for release

VCO-3340 update: Source code is published, plugin details are submitted. Would love to be able to release today so that people can have fun over the weekend :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Builds fine on windows!

Nice! So Linux and Windows are ok :slight_smile: Hopefully the Mac likes it, too!

BlockquoteVCO-3340 update: Source code is published, plugin details are submitted. Would love to be able to release today so that people can have fun over the weekend :slight_smile:

Great! where’s the source code? thanks

Here you go https://github.com/LabSevenDevVCVRack/LabSeven_VCVRack_modules.git . Have fun!

3 Likes

Great stuff really! thanks

You’re welcome!

Are there any Mac Binaries or is it just source code at the moment?
Please, thank you.

I have published the source code so far, so currently you need to build the plugin yourself (see e.g. https://vcvrack.com/manual/Building.html). I hope it will be integrated into the plugin manager soon so that it is super convenient to install.

1 Like

Congrats. Can’t wait to take it for a spin after the weekend.

I’m having a strange problem with the outputs, don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or not. Just cloned and built from source.

$ make -j10
g++  -Wsuggest-override -std=c++11  -DSLUG=LabSeven -fPIC -I../../include -I../../dep/include -DVERSION=0.6.1 -MMD -MP -g -O3 -march=nocona -ffast-math -fno-finite-math-only -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -DARCH_WIN -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES -c -o build/src/LabSeven.cpp.o src/LabSeven.cpp
g++  -Wsuggest-override -std=c++11  -DSLUG=LabSeven -fPIC -I../../include -I../../dep/include -DVERSION=0.6.1 -MMD -MP -g -O3 -march=nocona -ffast-math -fno-finite-math-only -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -DARCH_WIN -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES -c -o build/src/LS3340VCO.cpp.o src/LS3340VCO.cpp
In file included from src/LS3340VCO.cpp:2:0:
src/LabSeven_3340_VCO.h:7:0: warning: "_USE_MATH_DEFINES" redefined
 #define _USE_MATH_DEFINES

<command-line>:0:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
g++ -o plugin.dll build/src/LabSeven.cpp.o build/src/LS3340VCO.cpp.o  -shared -L../.. -lRack

It should look like this:

grafik

I can not reproduce the issue at the moment but if something is wrong with the code I’ll find it and fix it.

2 Likes

I just had the same issue on another PC (a rather old one with a cheap graphics card + Ubuntu). Strange values + audio I/O not working properly (lots of stuttering/clicks despite maximum buffer size) + GUI had low frame rate and arbitrary frame timing. When the stuttering was gone and the GUI frame rate was normal after a while, the VCO-3340 worked as expected. The same stuttering+no sound thing occurred when loading a patch without the VCO-3340, too.

First-glance suspicions:

• There might be something going wrong with the initialization. In particular, the VCO-3340 is an unusually large module (>4MB) because it contains a rather long noise sample. Then again, problems at VCV Rack startup also occurred without the VCO-3340.

• Maybe this also depends on the OS and the hardware. As soon as possible, I will build and test the plugin on my studio computer which is newer and more powerful + uses an RME Fireface UFX which should be good enough to qualify as a “proper” audio interface.

P.S.: I have also experienced strange GUI rendering errors at startup. Backgrounds of modules were vertically squeezed and sometimes controls are strangely deformed. This concerns all modules when loading a patch or when starting a new one. But it only happens sometimes. After 2-3 restarts of VCV Rack, everything is fine. Here is a demonstration using some arbitrary modules

never seen that happen, you sure graphics card is not to blame?

I guess it is. I am using a cheap one.

it happen to me allways when I open a new file or load one, is a issue about the OpenGL , Linux and rack,As far as I know, it has not been solved, I have a expensive graphic card.

just restart the rack :wink:

hi, now in 2020, i have a doubt if i could make all the sysmtem 100m modules, but based on behringer clones and not re roland, would this be possible?

and the same for the moog system 55 clones basing the design on the behringer clones.

Greetings.

Not a lawyer myself, but I don’t think you need Roland’s permission. The visual appearance is not subject to copyright as far as I know. And your software module is not in direct competition with them. I would go ahead a publish your original design. Don’t even expect to hear back from Roland. You are a small fish to them anyway.

Looks like a great module!

From Wikipedia re eligibiliy of works for copyright:

Copyright may apply to a wide range of creative, intellectual, or artistic forms, or “works”. Specifics vary by jurisdiction, but these can include poems, theses, fictional characters, plays and other literary works, motion pictures, choreography, musical compositions, sound recordings, paintings, drawings, sculptures, photographs, computer software, radio and television broadcasts, and industrial designs. Graphic designs and industrial designs may have separate or overlapping laws applied to them in some jurisdictions

Take it with a grain of salt I suppose. But re the point on graphic and industrial designs - pretty rare to have law covering them.

Doesn’t really matter. This would violate https://vcvrack.com/manual/PluginLicensing#vcv-plugin-ethics-guidelines with the design in the original post.

Alright!