Android racket making toys

My local water company severed my phone line AGAIN this morning (last time was ~four years ago). So, I finally bought an android phone (Huawei P Smart 2020 - so far so impressed) to use as a wifi hotspot until my broadband is restored.

Would be grateful for recommendations for racket making apps as there are so many to choose from, figured this would be a good place to ask.

Over to you fine folks :slight_smile:

I enjoy using Nanoloop to make some noises. Its minimal interface may seem unimpressive at first but it allows for quick composition once you get in the groove with it:

1 Like

You would right at home with this! :wink:

3 Likes

sunvox?

3 Likes

Hexen, Caustic, Jasuto.

1 Like

I started producing on Caustic 3 few years ago, really a great app. Sunvox i can also recommend, really fun to play with, and you can continue your projects on PC later.

2 Likes

If you like chiptunes, there’s DefleMask.

2 Likes

Thanks all, plenty for me to check out.

I’d also like to use it to control VCV, had a brief look at touchosc but it seems there’s no linux midi bridge even though there’s a linux editor available. Anyone else here using an Android phone / tablet as a VCV controller on linux? If so any tips? Not really bothered about buttons / knobs / sliders (have plenty of those) but would like to use it as a X/Y/gate touchpad.

1 Like

Never heard of that one before ! Looks great tho :smiley: i might try it later today

1 Like

It’s been a while, but I’ve gotten TouchDAW working before. I haven’t tried it with VCV Rack or Linux, but according to this page it seems like it should work.

1 Like

If you Like to finger drumming or record and mangle with a sampler, I suggest using koala sampler for android or iPhone It cost 5€. basically It Is an app version of the Roland sp404

1 Like

I absolutely love Caustic. It actually has a modular playground inside of it. It is considerably more powerful overall than many people might think, and is extremely well designed. If you like it at all, it is worth watching the brief tutorial videos that show a lot of semi-hidden features.

4 Likes

Roland Zenbeats is a pretty trad groovebox style app, but still capable of some nice tunes and it’s free now I think.

1 Like

Only one I really use is Chordbot. Main reason I wanted text input for chords in my quantizer, so I could import things quickly!

One-trick pony but I used djay free to scratch my own samples and record the results a while ago. I wouldn’t vouch for it in its intended task, it’s trying to upsell you all the time.

Korg made their Kaossillator free for a while, a few months ago. It sounds great, it’s a neat toy, but I don’t feel it rises above being just a toy - I don’t imagine using it in a real song.

3 Likes

sunvox, the best

2 Likes

I’ve used Caustic along with others for a few years now. One of my 1st DAWs! Also has a free windows version which is good if you’ve got a touch screen.