alef's bits released to library

I had fun with your “simplex and hold” and “poly rand” modules, using them in conjunction with my Meander module. I’m always interested in correlated noise so I had fun seeing how your simplex noise worked. The “poly rand” worked great for doing a randomized arpeggio of the chords poly output from Meander. By the way, Meander outputs its scale, which I run into Grande Quant and use that to quantize your simplex noise. I haven’t played with your “simplex vco” yet.

Everything worked well. Great job on your first modules.

1 Like

thank you so much for the feedback!

as for the simplex vco, one thing i know about it for sure is that as it stands at its current state, modulating the parameters on it can sometimes sound… well, not great. i don’t think i fully understood the parameters used in the module i learned from (TinyTricks’ Simplex Oscillator) so things may not have translated 100% to my module when i wrote the code.

1 Like

alef’s bits has been updated to v2.2.0 in the library, and includes various bugfixes and adjustments, but most notably is the new module ‘noize’ which is just a random noise generator with a ‘duration’ parameter and 0-10V cv input, which holds the random values for longer periods, resulting in some cool rumbly retro noise sounds.

3 Likes

alef’s bits has been updated to v2.3.0 in the library, including two new modules: ‘steps’, an 8 step sequencer inspired by bogaudio’s ADDR, and ‘fibb’, a clock divider with outputs corresponding to numbers in the fibonacci sequence.

i’ve also included a paypal donation link in the plugin, in case anyone ever feels so inclined, as all my modules will always be free and open source.

2 Likes

I’m surprised no-one has ever (afaik) made a paid plugins that’s open source. I would certainly consider it.

1 Like

Oh, of course! Forgot about that. cool.

just a quick heads up for anyone who uses my “alef’s bits” plugin - my ‘in-progress’ SimplexVCO will be removed from the plugin with the next library update, so any patches you have that use that module will break. of course you can always just choose not to update the plugin to keep the module around, but i won’t be supporting it anymore.

just added a new module to “alef’s bits”, in collaboration with @kirkwoodwest who came up with the module concept and designed the panel graphics for the parameter outlines. it’s called “oct sclr”, and it’s designed to scale and offset a signal (e.g. v/oct signals) to a specified octave range. (think bogaudio’s “offset”, but it snaps to octave ranges)

should be available with the next library update.

6 Likes

So it’s the top part of this ? or the folder part ?

:grinning:

2 Likes

there’s a slight difference, in that “oct sclr” actually “snaps” to octave intervals. it’s mainly meant to scale v/oct signals down to actual octave ranges. granted this could be accomplished easily by manually entering your desired parameter integers, but we thought it would be useful to have a module that already snaps to those ranges by default.

2 Likes

I hoped it would, I was just proud of myself that I could remember that NYSTHI had a module that could do this. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The Oct Sclr looks cool, I’ve been using this ‘Normaliser’ module to do this, but it’s a bit hit and miss picking out the right ranges.

1 Like

hey y’all. been a while since i came back to this thread.

i just pushed a new module to my repo, and ran a pre-release build available here: Release Release 2.5.2-2c6b152 · alefnull/alefsbits · GitHub

the module is called “slips” and its basic idea is this: you pick the number of steps, the root note and scale, and hit the “generate” button or send a trigger to the “generate” input, and it will generate a random sequence of notes quantized to your scale, and within a range specified in the context menu (thanks to @Patheros’s “cvRange.hpp” micro-library). then, you can adjust the “slips” amount parameter to choose a percentage of notes in the sequence, then the “range” parameter will control the range of the “slips” (0 = 0, 1 = +/-1, 0.5 = +/-0.5, etc) and during each cycle of the sequence, the random “slips”, or offsets, will be applied to the steps that are randomly chosen at the beginning of the cycle. everything is quantized at the output, so changing the root note and scale mid-sequence will not require generating a new sequence. changing the number of steps, however, currently requires generating a whole new sequence. finally, generating a new sequence via the button or trigger will currently reset the current step back to the beginning.

i’m sure there will be issues i haven’t run into yet myself, so i’d appreciate any and all feedback anyone can give. also, feel free to ask any questions. thanks!

(P.S. this build also includes an updated panel graphic for my “blank” module :stuck_out_tongue:)

6 Likes

for what it’s worth, i’m already currently trying to work out how i might go about making it so that changing the steps number mid-sequence will add or remove steps dynamically.

5 Likes

ok. new pre-release build with lots of significant and not-so-significant changes to the new “slips” module: Release Release 2.5.2-0cecd8c · alefnull/alefsbits · GitHub

some of the changes/fixes/additions/etc:

• changed max sequence steps to 64
  • added right click option to make root note cv input into v/oct input (ignores the octave)
  • added “starting step” param/cv input (decides which step to start the next cycle on)
  • added “probability” param/cv input (decides if the current step should play or not)
  • added segmented display to bottom of module for visualizing where we are in the sequence
  • fixed some issues with the quantization function
  • fixed/tweaked some other minor things here and there

this build will DEFINITELY break any previous patches with the module, as almost everything internally has changed, been removed, been added to, or been shifted around (not to mention the various panel changes)

very much appreciate anyone who’s willing/able to take a look at it and see what they think could be improved or needs to be fixed.

there are already a number of things i want/need to work on still, but i’ve been stuck with just myself looking at the latest changes for too long already and i could use some outside perspective for a change.

thanks all!

7 Likes

heya all. still chipping away at “slips” to make sure it doesn’t still have any big issues i haven’t found yet.

in the meantime, i’ve been working on another new module (with a lot of help from @ldlework on the scope display, and @baconpaul on the core functionality).

“turnt” (as Paul jokingly suggested and i decided to go with anyway :stuck_out_tongue:) is meant to generate triggers based on an input signal.

• in “direction” mode, triggers will generate every time the input signal changes “direction” - in other words, when the ramp changes from upward to downward, or vice versa.
  • in “through zero” mode, triggers will generate every time the input signal crosses the “zero threshold” (default is actual zero, controllable with knob/cv).
  • in “both” mode, triggers will generate under both of these conditions.

there is also a probability knob/cv to control the probability that the current trigger will actually fire.

the scope displays a view of the incoming signal (always moving from right to left across the scope) as well as the triggers being generated (represented by the red lines).

i’m still working on making it fully polyphonic. as far as i know, it does actually function correctly with a polyphonic input and output, but i’m trying to get to a point where the scope will be able to display any of the current input channels by clicking the corresponding numbered tab above/below the scope.

once turnt is in a more stable state, i’ll come back to the thread with a new build for anyone to try out. (unless you’re like @Steve_Russell and just try building it yourself from the repo, that is lol)

7 Likes

i take no responsibility for this choice. chuckle.

2 Likes

ok. pretty interesting update.

lots of little and not-so-little changes, to not only the two new modules, but also the whole plugin.

all modules in the plugin are now “themeable”. i took the basic idea from @marc_boule’s work on ImpromptuModular, with the idea of leaving my panels with transparent backgrounds, drawing the panel background when it’s loaded, and being able to control the “contrast” of the module. when the “contrast” drops below 0.5, the inverter kicks in and inverts the foreground colors of the module.

17 Likes

Huge thanks for these! They are definitely being used in more and more of my patches. Lots of ways to decrease the number of modules needed for a specific idea.

Oh and Dark Mode :black_heart:

2 Likes