Airwindows - A Fresh Approach: Looking for some testers and feedback

Pretty much I just grovelled through what I could identify and found things like ‘cfoulc cf’ and ‘kockie69 SquinkyVCV-Main’ as far as stuff I wanted to be able to include. I’ve already got SurgeXT, Fundamental and mine. Looks like the script is working, which is normal for baconpaul :slight_smile:

Oh, no, wait, it’s absolutely not. It’s trying to do it as if it was on Paul’s computer. I may or may not be able to fix that :slight_smile: yeah, it wants to be on Paul’s computer and it wants the SDK. False alarm, I got nothing :slight_smile:

I exported the wrong dir, I just have to figure out whether it wants to point that at the program, or the SDK (which I do have)

VCV - Google Drive I managed to get these to work lin-arm64 named by slug, but repo from locate module in library and goto link for source.

EDIT: find by slug example VCV Library - KRTPluginA the URL uses the slug. https://library.vcvrack.com/airwindows2rack would not work as repo capitals. So a potential security step on a scraper builder would fail.

that’s not how the library works. the library adds whatever repo you have as submodule renamed to the slug.

for instance the surge-rack GitHub repo is in the vcv library as SurgeRack and SurgeXTRack (which are the two slugs it provides at different hashes)

Yeah, I’m nowhere, I get a lot of ‘already up to date’ and ‘make: jq: Command not found’. I found the slugs but can’t simply export RACK_DIR as the location of my Rack SDK, and I’m not competent to fix this. I will go without modules for those I can’t find in your google drive :slight_smile:

chris: just install the x86 version and run under rosetta. ARM is still pretty dev-like and lots of the user gestures - like the library! - aren’t ready yet.

1 Like

Also the community post I linked has downloadable versions of many of them including mind meld and more

naw, I’m fine for now. I got Audible and Befaco and Surge XT and Airwindows and Fundamental, it should be fine for now :slight_smile:

Correction, I got them and it turned the downloads into a folder, and updates grabs a new thing and re-does the folder, but it creates a plugin.so file and not a plugin.dylib, and nothing shows up. Can’t go no further right at the moment, see you folks later in the day. Paul, weren’t you off doing stuff today? Don’t worry yourself about this. It’s just Rackisms :slight_smile:

yep I agree there is a DB with primary and unique keys somewhere, but it implies a date where someone else names a repo rack-modules again … easy enough to fix by a target git argument, if the git pull is not automated. https://library.vcvrack.com/KRTPlugina 404

That is the definitive source for library repos named by slug and versions

1 Like

Yep, but GitHub - netboy3/21kHz-rack-plugins at 0bee82247151e2fe2885f1e15fbbd74ddb4f48d0 isn’t named by slug, so if the optimization is load all, compile all and the slug is not used for uniqueness of the git clone then later additions can fail the process with a git error. OK, so not a massive security issue, but a pedantic edit minor.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 17.49.10

Yep, it’s only manual downloading for development test building that might be an issue. Consider it closed.

The conversation really doesn’t belong on this thread but if you look at the repo I linked it has renamed the submodule to the slug name so the git modules status in the library really is the definitive way to map from git endpoint plus hash to slug and code

Maybe open a new thread if you still have questions on this though so we can keep this one on airwindows pls?

1 Like

cat plugin.json scrolling compliment joke? There is a lot of nice there.

Ah, this “Lock effect type” is killing me. I’m not about suggesting to drop the function but @jinx6568 & @baconpaul could you please tell a bit about the considerations behind this feature? Why is it needed?

Would you please consider also a hotkey (i.e. ‘L’) to toggle between locked/unlocked?

My previous workflow:

• I read about an interesting effect
  • I load it
  • Ctrl-R to check 3-6 variation how it sounds
  • repeat

My current workflow:

• I read about an interesting effect
  • I load it
  • Ctrl-R to check some variation how it sounds
  • I swear cos I forgot to lock the effect
  • Ctrl-Z to get back my selected effect
  • I click twice to lock the effect in the menu
  • Ctrl-R to check 3-6 variation how it sounds
  • repeat

Or alternatively would you enable the effect loading (enable the selection in the context menu) even if the “lock effect” is set? It’s not realistic to fear that you right-click the module, move the mouse over an effect group, and left-click a new effect by mistake.

For what it’s worth, I would be okay with ‘Lock effect type’ going in any direction people like. I pretty much never randomize so it’s a moot point to me. Paul is likely to be interested in getting people’s opinions on what’s best, and is also interested in which things I can cope with and which things upset me. I don’t think there’s any possible way ‘Lock effect type’ could be, where I would mind. It’s a feature that could be in any condition because I won’t use it. So, let discussion ensue! :smiley:

1 Like

A hot key for undo to last effect type :slight_smile: then full on randoms is easy flow?

Where my invisible inputs go? Ooops, effect specific attenuflerters. Polarity preference probabilities?

I can make lock do whaveter we want

Sounds like you want lock to never be in randomize unless you opt in and the opt in is separate from lock

So have lock and randomize effect as two optionsZ default is false false

That’s basically it right? That sounds like the safest approach too and meets the “defaults do least harm” model

1 Like

Yes so randomize without a lock, and then a fast undo-ish key or click to bring back “the effect” but keep the random parameters. Like a far search, but closer to a found. The lock is more like a found, and misses on an accidental far.

Undo works on all the gestures even randomize so this really is just what does randomize do.

I’ll add a second option in my next push which I think will solve the problem

Yes, it’s the full undo has already been heard, but just an effect undo (or move forward based on last selected which can be double undone), has potential for finding due to randomization alot. So I’m saying I’d leave the lock off, and flick back to last often, although it would be a random “locked alike” version of last.

Let me contradict myself. Earlier I wrote that I’m not recommending the removal of “Lock Effect Type” but actually I want to get rid of it.

The more I think about it the more certain I am: it’s pointless. And once it’s in the context menu we can spend countless hours discussing how should it behave. (Ctrl-Z? Ctrl-I? Ctrl-R? Etc.)

But honestly, it serves no use at all. Let’s drop it.