Airwindows - A Fresh Approach: Looking for some testers and feedback

Just a note that the recently released Verbity2 went into the Nightly pack nicely. Works great, sounds fine in my Win setup.

6 Likes

Yay! Verbity2 sounds great just going by the video. Thanks Chris and Paul :+1:

Yeah the automation all worked. It took 2. Imputes to add. Just ran my script and pushed to github.

Still not sure the cadence we will use between the nightlies and library releases. But chris pings me when each new effect is done so nightlies should have new things either before or on blog launch

2 Likes

That’s up to you, whatever works best for you and how you want to interact with the userbase :slight_smile:

I wonder whether related projects can be brought under the same roof so that when you have CLAP plugins of the same nature etc. they can use the same script and github push, or a script of scripts, resulting in a great deal being done with still just the one weekly interaction with the system :smiley:

1 Like

Yes that’s my plan indeed!

Oh and my instinct is ‘update the nightly ever week; update the library every month-to-6-weeks’ type thing since the library has some manual intervention by the rack team required. I don’t think they would like it if I shipped them 52 new versions a year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But what the heck lets give it a try and make sure the full update pipeline works. I submitted 2.1.0 with verbity2 to the library (along with a comment that i will reduce cadence going forwards). Should all work but good to do a test.

3 Likes

Good idea! I don’t intend to make it easy as I’m hoping to put out a series of must-have plugins for February, but there’s always the nightlies. I think Verbity2 is worth including to the library, and then let it rest as you see fit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I found myself in need of a handy reference;

Airwindows Menu Options.pdf (1.5 MB)

1 Like

Curious why that presentation is useful? It is of course super easy to generste thst from the code but I thought the typeahead search would also do thst. If there’s something to add to the ui thought we could.

I think it is funny (not in a critical way just in a ha ha way) that a pdf of screenshots of the menu ends up bigger than the plugin with all the fx too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just wanted to be able to have a reference for all the options in the menu - I have a text file which I could have formatted but in the end it was easier to use screenshots and make a PDF. Just how I work. :nerd_face:

Whoof. I will gently suggest that there are a couple decisions here that are not as I would have made them. Firstly, you’re not expected to or supposed to use ALL the plugins, ideally you remember the ones you like, but it would take you a long time to experiment with all of them. It’s meant to include ALL the plugins because it’s the library. Secondly, it defaults to ‘not alphabetical’ for that exact reason: more useful stuff ought to be at the top of the menus. And thirdly, you don’t have Verbity2 in there :smiley:

I’m glad that helped you, I just hope you understand there’s a reason why I have actively tried to anti-organize the approach to the plugin that way (as in, as much as possible I discourage exactly this). If people have to work through all of Airwindows in alphabetical order nobody will ever be able to do anything :slight_smile:

1 Like

An update yes I didn’t take that into account. I just wanted a list so I can find the plugin I want to use. I’m afraid I’m one of those people who need to work through stuff. I totally get why you set it out the way you did, and it makes sense to make people experiment with this in a less organised manner. I hope I haven’t undermined your intentions too much.

Awesome module and plugins BTW :star_struck:

Oh, don’t worry, you’re fine, in fact I love it. I hope you don’t hurt yourself trying to internalize all this when in fact I can’t: I wouldn’t be able to remember it all and it’s been a really long time since I worked through everything (in any sense).

You may become one of several people out there who count as Airwindows documentarians: probably more thorough in their understanding of it all than I am. I have to be on the front edge, and it’s an intentional choice to not take away ‘old plugins’, so here we are. One thing about it is, I may not keep up on the details of all the old stuff but I insist on maintaining it, so if you do work through everything and master the whole library, it’s not going anywhere. All of it remains available and current, much like how I ported it all to 64 bit and then VST and then Linux VST and then M1 and then Raspberry Pi and now with the help of Baconpaul, VCV Rack. So I can’t fault you for wanting to know every detail of a toolset that stays maintained.

Just remember that there is no one ‘right way’ to approach this giant library of stuff. If there was, I would have argued against ever letting the menus be alphabetical in the Rack plugin :smiley: I put some effort into letting people just find the newest thing and play with it. Thanks to Baconpaul, every other thing is just a menu-option away :wink:

Except CStrip and Pafnuty, which have too many controls. And this morning I finished work on the initial retro AU version of CStrip2, which leaves off the gate and timing controls, and swaps out Capacitor for the original highpass and lowpass, and also adds a Channel-based overdrive stage to go along with the output control… and has just ten controls, so it CAN come to VCV Rack. Next, Pafnuty2, with the two highest harmonics omitted :slight_smile:

edit: got Pafnuty2 in retro AU. Next, porting everything to retro Mac VST, then Win32, then Win64, then Linux VST, then RaspberryPi, then signed Mac AU, then signed Mac VST, then BaconPaul pushes one button and it’s in VCV Rack :smiley:

5 Likes

I haven’t tried it yet but is there a straightforward way to do polyphony with console plugins? The way the RackWindows Mixmaster edition does?

Also a poly console with adjustable crosstalk!

1 Like

All the modules can be monophonic or polyphonic and if polyphonic they run n copies of the effect. Just toggle polyphony in the right mouse.

If you make this work with mixmaster and console and want to share a how I did it here, I would happily add thst to the manual. And if you can’t for some reason in the module I would love to know so i can fix it

Ahh reading the mixmaster manual now it pushes out 1-8 as lrlrlrlr not a poly llll and a poly rrr

That will be cumbersome to rotate to the airwindows topology of lllll rrrrr

Hmm I need to think about that for a second. Maybe I should add a mixmaster poly mode where the jacks change from llll rrrr to lrlrl lrlrlr and relabel.

2 Likes

That would be the questions. Plus I don’t think RackWindows is in the library. I must have built it myself by just changing the slug. The repo is here: GitHub - n0jo/rackwindows: A collection of VCV Rack modules based on audio plugins by Chris Johnson from Airwindows Their MM console module here: rackwindows/src/console_mm.cpp at develop · n0jo/rackwindows · GitHub

yeah stay tuned. i have added a second polyphony mode to the module in my dev environment which changes the topology so you you have “mono/poly/poly(mixmaster)”. Just doing some final tests and then I’ll share a patch and push to the nightly for you to try.

1 Like

OK I just added a “Polyphony (MixMaster Topology)” polyphony mode. Should be in the new nightly in about 20 minutes (around 10:30 eastern)

Would really appreciate some testing. Here’s the test patch I used

• It uses a standard polyphonic AirWindows to apply a ZLowpass filter sweep to a voice
  • It uses a standard monophonic AirWindows galactic to add reverb on an aux
  • It uses a mix-master polyphonic AirWindows to route MackityEQ into the mixmaster send/recieves and then uses a PolyCon16 to set per-track levels using the modulation

AW MixMaster test.vcv (5.8 KB)

To run that you need Surge, Airwindows nightly which is building now, mixmaster, bog, bacon plugs, and fundamental. Library versions of all the modules other than Airwindows will work fine.

6 Likes