Advice for helping friends learn Rack over a videohangtimeface call

Hi. Not sure if this is the right category for this but here goes. I’ve been rabbiting on to some close music making friends about VCV Rack for a while and in order to get them inducted into the wonderful world of wobbly waveforms I’m arranging a video call (due to lockdown :mask: or we’d meet IRL) where I can screen share what I’m doing in Rack and I talk them through it over a beer (or three). My main reason for doing this is so that they no longer look at me funny when I start talking about modulating my attenuvertors. My question is, how can I best share the audio when I screen share? I’m on a Mac and have Audio Hijack, so I can mix my voice and the output from Rack no problem, but just wondering if there’s any gotchas to watch out for when doing this kind of thing? It’s just a private thing so won’t be a YouTube live stream or anything. And if you got this far, thanks for reading. Get a cup of tea. :smiley: Thanks, Alan.

1 Like

I haven’t had occasion to use it myself, but Zoom has apparently added a higher quality audio mode that might be helpful (if Zoom is your chosen hangfacetalkybox platform, that is):

1 Like

Thanks very much. I’ll have a look at that. Bit wary of Zoom as they’ve had bad press in the past about being naughty installing extra software behind the scenes (like a web server!) without asking, but will look again. Thanks, augment. Thaugment.

I think you have good reason to be wary. The Zoom folks messed up a lot (and then they acquired my fav private chat tool, keybase :angry: ). My employer has chosen it as our platform for facehangcalling, so I’m kind of on the bus, and just hopeful that all that bad press resulted in genuine improvement, rather than just face-saving measures.

I’d prefer to be using the open-source jitsi, but when I’ve tried to use it in the past, it always seemed that someone on the call had trouble with it. YMMV.

1 Like

I’ll give Jitsi a go. Always up for new things. :smiley:

we use Jitsi at work and it’s working fine. anyway I always would prefer it over Zoom.

2 Likes

Oh ! I have to tell my dad about this, his company banned Zoom and made them switch to keybase :sweat_smile:

Let me know how it goes, I’m interested to hear how it works out for your use case.

1 Like