Acoustic Piano module in VCV? (I could implement one)

Hi, I’m developing a few modules oriented towards generative music; and I would also like to have a (small) module with a simple acoustic piano sound with a 1V/oct and trigger/gate inputs. Is there any free module already available (not a single sample played at different rates)?

If there isn’t one, I could implement one (using fair good 4 octaves samples, packed in a 40MB file that could be shipped with the plugin in the res folder); is it worth it?

9 Likes

Hello Marzio, Well other people have assembled patches for the piano sound: Simple Piano Emulation - Music & Patches - VCV Community (vcvrack.com) Not sure if they did come close to the real sound but they do exist! See what you reckon to their versions and then see what you think you can improve on? A full module would be good though! Thanks for creating your modules, they always turn out great.

1 Like

Maybe an idea to look at development for a SFZ/Soundfont sample player?

edit: Yeah certainly a little piano module is a great idea!

3 Likes

+1 to the soundfont development

A little piano module is a great idea!

but also another +1 for Soundfont.

can I ask, what a "little piano " is?

basic piano module? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, it’s like a big piano, except it’s smaller.

[Just jesting… the ‘little’ was referring to the module size, not the piano]

2 Likes

would be nice to have a port of e.g. mda-piano for Rack :slight_smile:

Thank you, I thought it was the name for some specific type (of sound) of piano, such as the toy piano or grand piano for example

1 Like

EssEff by RJModules is a SoundFont2 player and has a grand_piano.sf2 bundled with the module (I think you need to right click and use the menu to select it).

6 Likes

It’s simple to use and it’s not a bad sample but its not polyphonic so you can’t play chords.