Ableton CV Tools

This looks interesting, I wonder if it could interface with VCV Rack?

2 Likes

Seems that all of these “Ableton devices” use MIDI input and output, so they will work with “Rack for DAWs”, coming after Rack v2 is released.

5 Likes

Some of them (according to the article) send and receive CV signals using a compatible “dc-coupled audio interface”, rather than use midi. Not sure if this makes a difference?

1 Like

Oh, didn’t see that. In that case, it will also work since Rack will get audio input/output as a VST instrument/effect plugin.

6 Likes

Cool! Thanks.

It will work with VCVRack standalone as well.
Just have to route connections properly with the right tools.
Another thing: it was also always possible to record CV from your modular/virtual modular, process it as audio, loop it/ mangle it/ arrange it, and send it back as CV to your modular/virtual modular as audio playback.

1 Like

I don’t install Ableton beta’s anymore but this looks to be a native set of tools that provides features similar to those that Expert Sleeper’s (and others) have provides as VST/AU plugins.

On the plus side, they’re going to be free for Ableton Suite owners, on the downside, it’s Max For Live, which will be computationally more expensive than a compiled plugin (even when the M4L device is built with GEN). Having said that, Live 10 has sped up M4L devices considerably, so the performance differences mightn’t too great.

Native Live devices usually offer greater automation/modulation capabilities so that might outweigh any loss of performance over a compiled plugin.

Whichever way you look at it, the new tools should add a lot of flexibility for working with Rack/Eurorack. And at no extra cost.

1 Like

I can confirm that this works with the 10.1 Ableton Live Beta.

All you need to do is send your CV as audio (which I am doing over Loopback, though it works with Soundflower too) to the new ‘CV In’ device in Ableton, and match the voltages and polarity at both ends.

Nice.

3 Likes

That’s great to hear.

Great, thanks for letting us know @Nik

@Vortico Familiar screenshot on this page:-

2 Likes

It’s now officially released:-

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/cv-tools

3 Likes