A VCV Rack MPE VST3 Host-xl problem to solve

I need to find a way to use a VST3 MPE plugin and MPE Keyboard in VCV Rack. I’m trying to get it to work using the MIDI poly+MPE by MoDllz and host with host-xl extension to load the VST3. It’s kinda working but the MPE stuff doesn’t seem to reach the VST3 plugin (Plasmonic) in VCV host. No pitch bend or CC74 or per note channel pressure. Does someone have this working and can send me an example on how to set this up correctly?

Many thanks,

Greg

To be clear, I can get MIDI poly+MPE to work when I use it to control VCV Rack parameters and oscillators, just can’t get it to work as expected when I use it with a VST MPE plugin in VCV Host.

I wrote VCV Rack support and they responded saying that they will look into adding this feature in the future! yay!

3 Likes

Has there been any development here? Host and Host XL still don’t support MPE. Rack and Rack VST would be (in my use case, at least) INFINITELY more useful if it did.

Imagine processing an MPE datastream: processing the pitches, cc74 and pressure in VCV before it goes to the MPE supporting VST. I can imagine polyphonic/random-seeded pitch LFOs, complex attenuation of these values, etc. It would be amazing.

2 Likes

With all the great poly modules, MPE-capable MIDI input module etc. VCV Rack is a great fit for MPE-controllers. The main omission seems to be the VST host which still lacks MPE support. Many VST plugins have MPE support by now, being able to use them in VCV Rack would open many interesting possibilities. Please consider to add this!

send a feature request to support@vcvrack.com, else this will not be picked up

ive been asking after this to support@ since the literal day that the host module was released… at least 4 times. Haven’t received a single reply of any kind. Seems like they don’t care, which makes no sense – this is a modular environment!

CLAP should be on the roadmap too – especially since it supports open ended parameter per control. It would be heaven to have this supported in VCV.

2 Likes

As long as we don’t have MPE on the VST Host module, my workaround is to double/triple/etc. the host module and use them as separate monophonic synths. For more ‘easy’ parameter changes on the VSTs I developed my Copy-Paste-Preset module:

It’s not a real solution, but it helps a bit :sunglasses:

1 Like