A dev tool to look inside a module and check stuff

oh yeah in rack 1 the prototype module

Yes - but I have a feeling thereā€™s a similar-ish module from someone else in V2

looking at the code for prototype, it launches an external editor fundamental notes isnā€™t scrollable it doesnā€™t seem

iā€™ll just write a scrollbar. iā€™ll need it for another module i have in mind anyway for bacon plugs land.

This one!

Looks like it has both horizontal and vertical scrollbars.

1 Like

docB Formula One EDIT - oops - you beat me by a couple seconds!

2 Likes

Yep :slight_smile:

Ahh yeah that is a lot of the code Iā€™m about to type in :slight_smile:

Cool. Let me tag @docB - do you mind if I repurpose that code into my module? Itā€™s all GPL3 so license compatible but wouldnā€™t do it if you didnā€™t want me to. Iā€™d copy and tweak since I need to fit it into a few style things but of course credit you etcā€¦

2 Likes

Holy cow, that copy-n-paste into a text editor to view JSON is a cool trick! That never would have occurred to me.

Instead of trying to wrangle VCV Rack into displaying lots of information in a teensy-tiny window that I have to scroll through, I would much prefer either of the following:

• (Easy option) Open a Save As dialog box and let me choose where to write a text file.
  • (Harder option) Allow the user to configure a text editor/viewer of choice. Write all your output to a temporary file, then launch the editor with the filename as the parameter. On Windows, default to Notepad. On Mac, default to TextEdit. On Linux, I guess you have to ask because you never know whatā€™s there.

Either way, I get something I can read comfortably. And you donā€™t need separate options for what to report. Always report everything, because verbosity is no longer a concern.

4 Likes

Yeah ā€œopen in getenvEDITORā€ is a good idea. I have ā€˜dump to stdoutā€™ there now as a workaround.

2 Likes

but anyway i just pushed a version with a simple scrollbar (MTextField has a bunch of edit stuff and the scrollbar is actually pretty compact so I just did a version with current widgets)

Not perfect but at least scrollable in both directions.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, in Windows, the vertical panel window list is truncated such that when scrolled, there is nothing more there.

Iā€™m sorry can you screen shot that. Iā€™m having a hard time turning words into the bug. Thanks!

(oh and by the way, this is a dev tool and iā€™m happy to merge any ideas you have to make this thing better or useful. It was pretty handy for me banging surge together so figured it was better to share than trash but its certainly not anything close to perfect)

In the previous version, the Meander list goes on for many pages. Now I just get one page of info.

yeah sorry fixed now. and i tested it with meander and get many pages again. pull and rebuild or wait for a new binary

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

oh and while an external editor is a good idea, i added the quicker hack of a button which dumps the current view to a simple HTML document then opens it as a file:// URL so you can at least see the output on screen outside the widget as well as dumping it to stdout.

2 Likes

That sounds perfect to me! It meets the goal of giving me a nice big window to read stuff in.

If I click on ā€œTo STDOUTā€ or ā€œTo HTMLā€ buttons, should I see some action. Nothing happens under Windows.