4TB (*2)

Purchased 3 years apart.

4 Likes

Back in like 1999 when the price of a server with 1TB got below $10k my boss purchased one, just because.

How about a 5 MB hard drive in 1980 for $1500? Wow! just imagine what you can do with all of that storage space!

3 Likes

Been there, did that :wink: but I think it was more like 1983 for me.

I chose at the time to build a MIDI board. I did something wrong in my machine code driver with interrupts and corrupted the HDD twice. That ended me putting protoboards on the motherboard. Luckily by then I was able to buy a commercial MIDI board… probably for about the same as the HDD, but I don’t remember.

1 Like

Yep, I bought plenty of those little drives by like 1983… when I was making commercial midi boards, as it happens :wink:

1 Like

A four gigabyte hard drive unit was $30k in 1990 :sweat_smile: … I still remember reading the news about one being available. I was on fifth grade at the time and was nerdy enough to keep up with that kind of stuff, lol.

Here ya go: IBM 5 MB hard drive. Portable, too.

I am puzzled as to why the Pan-Am Airways logo would be upside down when the hatch is closed.

5 Likes

The writing is strangely bright despite being in the shade of the hatch. I wonder whether the logo has been photoshopped in later.

The cabinet looks impressive :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Equally as puzzling, why would the logo face the interior when the hatch is closed? It must have been photoshopped.

1 Like

Because more people will see it when the door is open compared to the total who will ever see it when it is closed?

1 Like

… and what have you got against VVd Air Freight anyway? I hear they’re very reliable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

hmm, that seems to say PAA… def not Pan-Am

1 Like

ok, never saw that one before, I stand corrected

2 Likes

And here it is! I’ll bet a lot of us had some of these back in the day: https://www.redhill.net.au/d/2.php

I remember some 100 MB Maxtor disks that often developed stiction. The seagate 50MB I had (gotten for cost and in a nice case with SCSI port) lasted me several years. So much storage back then, when 1.44MB floppies still ruled. And even those where a huge step up from the ‘real’ floppies…

1 Like

PAA = Pan American Airways

I’m guessing that it’s a Douglas DC-7F, and here’s a photo of one in KLM livery:

Note the right-side-up “KLM CARGO QUEEN” lettering on the front and aft doors. I guess it was the thing to do. Makes sense. If you were reading it from the inside, they’d already have gotten your business.

2 Likes

I had (still have, actually) a (20 MB?) “ZFP” SCSI hard drive for my MacPlus, similar to this one:

“ZFP” was an abbreviation of “Zero FootPrint”, meaning that it was exactly the same width and length as the bottom of a MacPlus, and so did not take up additional desk space.

3 Likes

My first harddisk (ca 1989) was a secondhand 5 1/4 inch drive (ca 50MB), I don’t remember the exact model. I salvaged it from an older computer (early NC-controller ) that I got from the factory my father worked at. It was attached to the Amiga 500 using an OMTI controller and A.L.F. on EPROM.

Now, 2x M.2 4TB on a mini-ATX motherboard. image

4 Likes