4ms Meta - Rackception

cloning and building

Very cool news @4ms, looking forward to kick the tires of those modules.

Metamodule is extremely exciting generally (I’ve gone from “this is very interesting but maybe not for me” to “this solves so many problems and creates so many opportunities” during the course of its development) and this 4ms module drop is phenomenal. Thank you so much for pushing it forward! Your presence here is much appreciated.

If I ever get time to properly release anything I’ll definitely treat MM as a first-class target. (Right now I’ve got a small “private stash” that’s not suited for general release, but I’ll be porting some of them to MM first thing.)

2 Likes

Very cool :slight_smile: many thanks

@4ms will the SMR be ported ?

will the SMR be ported ?

You know, at first we thought: there’s the Prism clone of it already, which is pretty nice. So we took the SMR off the list. But I kind of miss the look and feel, even though the rotary functions aren’t well suited for virtualization. So we’re thinking about putting it back on the TODO list. However, it’s not going to be there for the initial release.

8 Likes

Nice to see :slight_smile:

12 Likes

ENOSC, Yay! No SWN but I guess I’ll learn to live without :blush: Exiting times.

Wow, what a list! So amazing to see!

Hi Dan, great to finally have you here in the VCV community, really excited to get the 4ms modules in Rack!

I might have missed this info elsewhere, but, what is the plan for the distribution of plugins converted to Meta after the initial release?

My plugin would be quite a bit of work to convert due to the amount of NanoVG stuff I use, plus some of my modules don’t make sense for Meta, like Purfenator. And finally my plugin is closed source, due to restrictions of my employment contract.

Is there a path for me to create a limited version of my plugin for Meta, remain closed source, and be distributed to users?

Fantastic work - really excited about the release. Just wondering what the plan is for pitch quantisation in the 4ms ecosystem?

Thanks! For plugins we have a license exclusion that allows you to distribute your plugin in any way you wish (open or closed source, free or commercial).

For distributing them, at first we are just putting links to downloads (or to a page where you can purchase) on the upcoming metamodule site. So that will serve as the “central place” to find plugins. The number is small right now (well, relative to the number of plugins in VCV Library!), so a single page of links is suitable, and we can accept submissions via email. We’ll scale it up as it grows. We’re happy to host the binaries for download if that makes the most sense, or link to your page.

You didn’t mention making it a commercial plugin, but others have asked me, so I would just add that I want to avoid being a middle-man for commercial sales of plugins: that is, 4ms won’t be managing a store for purchasing plugins. So if someone wants to sell their plugin, they can do it via whatever e-commerce option suits them and we’re happy link to the product page.

Regarding having a plugin be different on the MetaModule vs. the Rack, that works very well actually. The MetaModule patch files just reference the param, input, output, light IDs, and the brand/module slugs. Invalid IDs are silently ignored with no error. So as long as all the IDs used by the MetaModule version have the same function as they do on Rack version, it’ll work. The module’s dataTo/FromJson are called by MetaModule, so you can “stash” hidden parameters if you need to. You also could do more elaborate things like we did for Airwindows: on Rack it’s a single module and you change FX with a context menu or arrow buttons. But on MetaModule that kind of UI doesn’t work well so we made each of the FX a separate module. It works seamlessly.

4 Likes

Under “any license of your choice” best to change the language from commercially to proprietary.

The GPL and other open-source licenses allow commercial use so this language is not clear (or correct).

1 Like

Fixed, thank you.

2 Likes

please forgive my silly question: i read about it, that it is standalone, other sources tell it is a eurorack module.

can i just buy it, load a vcv patch and play along? or do i have to buy additional eurorack hardware (rack, etc)

It’s Euro. At the barest minimum, you could stick it in a 4MS Pod or another small case and add an output module. Not much fun though.

thank you. i feared that. all included it costs about 1100€😒

I doubt that - you can pick up a used 4ms pod for around £100 - £150 (I sold one at that recently) and output directly from the MM into your interface - just keep an eye on the levels.

For what you get, including a load of 4ms modules that cost ££££ in hardware form, that’s a pretty amazing deal :grinning:

let me explain the sum, i called some sellers for prices: MM 650€ case from 4ms 175€ powersupply 23€ Audio for Headphone and Loudspeaker 150€

the case has no room for extensions. 4ms announce that they will come. a bigger case with more room and bigger powersupply 275€. the original powersupply is a bit small. perhaps midi extension. we will see, if direct midi over usb on MM will work. but i must say,this is not problem of MM. if the module will do, what is announced, then it is worth every euro. i will follow the different experiences of the power users here. especially the performance of bigger patches. i am curious.

I’d shop around as you can do that all for much cheaper.

Positive comments from an early adopter on the modwiggler thread linked earlier

5 Likes
https://github.com/4ms/4ms-vcv/releases/download/vcv-v0.20.1/4msCompany-2.0.0-mac-x64.vcvplugin

VCV Rack Pro 2.5.2 macOS x64
Standalone
Mac 10.12.7

[0.834 info src/plugin.cpp:265 extractPackages] Extracting package /Users/lab/Library/Application Support/Rack2/plugins-mac-x64/4msCompany-2.0.0-mac-x64.vcvplugin
[0.879 info src/plugin.cpp:167 loadPlugin] Loading plugin from /Users/lab/Library/Application Support/Rack2/plugins-mac-x64/4msCompany
[0.886 warn src/plugin.cpp:233 loadPlugin] Could not load plugin /Users/lab/Library/Application Support/Rack2/plugins-mac-x64/4msCompany: Failed to load library /Users/lab/Library/Application Support/Rack2/plugins-mac-x64/4msCompany/plugin.dylib: dlopen(/Users/lab/Library/Application Support/Rack2/plugins-mac-x64/4msCompany/plugin.dylib, 6): Symbol not found: __ZNSt19bad_optional_accessD1Ev
  Referenced from: /Users/lab/Library/Application Support/Rack2/plugins-mac-x64/4msCompany/plugin.dylib
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib
 in /Users/lab/Library/Application Support/Rack2/plugins-mac-x64/4msCompany/plugin.dylib

An old macOS overdue for retirement, so I’m guessing that you don’t support an old version like that, even though Rack does.

RACK 2 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• Windows 7+, macOS 10.9+, or Linux (such as Ubuntu 16.04+)