30 second delay in startup - white screen

Yip, I’ve noticed that too. It’s almost as if Windows forces you to update by misbehaving. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Yep, I got hit by this today! Luckily, a reboot got everything working again. It all started with an Office 365 update that said the installation failed and that if problems continued I would need to reinstall Office :crazy_face: I rebooted and Office updated as well as apparently Win11 minor update also, maybe.

Do you use the setting to install updates early? The one discussed above?

No, I have “latest updates as soon as available” set to Off. I am not sure what was updated this morning since the Windows update history does not show anything since 22H2 on 12/12. I did get “Security Intelligence Update” for Defender this morning as I do on most days. Sometimes it seems to include more than just Defender virus definition updates, but it is pretty much impossible for me to determine.

1 Like

People who have fixed this (and those who have not) - Are you running windows 23H2 or an older one?

Nope, I’m still on 22H2. Specifically, Win 11 Pro build 22621.2861.

I’m on Windows 11 pro 23H2.

I don’t know for sure that turning off “Smart App Control” was what did the difference, It’s not possible to go back without reinstalling. I have acceptable loading times around a few seconds now. (3025 modules).

Finally fixed my problem - windows!!!

It had nothing to do with any of the other things, above. It turned out windows thought that my Acronis Cyber Protect Home (which I use for backing up my computers) was serving as the anti virus, but Acronis said that it wasn’t. And windows thought it needed update, which it did.

Windows wouldn’t let me set Defender back to being the anti-virus provider.

Fixed by turning on anti virus in Acronis, then turning it off. Never did get it to update itself, but that doesn’t matter - I never wanted it to be my anti virus provider.

It was affecting boot time of several programs, but not VCV.

1 Like