3 module challenge with AstroVibe

I’m posting this in its own topic in case anyone else would like to join in: A 3-module challenge featuring AstroVibe, a brilliant multi-oscillator created by @Patheros.

To kick things off I’m posting what I came up with, but it’s by no means tapping into all the potential of this really inspiring module, so I thought it would be fun to see more of what others can do with it. This is not a contest or competition or anything; there is no judging and the only “rule” is to use at most 3 modules (excluding audio/recorder modules), with at least one of the modules being AstroVibe. Hoping that limitations can breed creativity for you, have fun!

14 Likes

I will gladly join in, always love a small patch! Are mixers allowed as extras?

Excellent! I would say that to be fair we could probably use these guidelines as a starting point (adapted from the CMSS 3 module challenge):

• Three or fewer modules

• End of chain modules like mixers or output modules do not count unless they are using CV

• Full voice modules, including sampler modules, are allowed

• Must use at least one AstroVibe module of course!

I’ll be eager to see (and hear) what you create!

4 Likes

Interesting idea Marc,
imho it would be great to share the patches here too.

2 Likes

This sounds amazing Marc - particularly from around 6:30 where it sounds like an “Alien Soul Eater” haha - a kind of alien/monster sound combined with the sound of masses of people from a distance… on a spaceship with enormous engines :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s my 1st attempt, AstroVibe manipulated by Catronomix’s 8LFO and put through Lindenberg’s Sangster. There will probably be more entries

Astrovibe 3 module challenge-Sangster+8LFO Catro.vcv (5.9 KB)

Astrovibe 3 Module Challenge - Sangster+8LFO Catro 2 in AstroVibe -Lfo’d and Sangstered (soundcloud.com)

2 Likes

Marc this time it is using 3 of the Path Set Modules-Shifty, AstroVibe +Ice Tray.

A sort of Afro Space Mbira kind of thing!

A bit weird this, the Patch is 17mb size, surely that’s a bit big for 6 modules, anyone know why? Hey, it has now decided it is 1.94mb.

Afro Space bubbler by Adrian Bottomley (soundcloud.com)

3 Likes

Your patches sound like I’m in a Dr Who lobby. They are supper cool. Also I love that your trying to use all 3 of my modules <3

As for the patch size I bet it’s IceTray. It saves its recordings out and it can record up to 60 seconds of audio so it can be swinging in patch size.

I think Astro Vibe just begs to be self patched. I didn’t do much with the other modules. Just a bit of attenuvertion to get a bit more variation in the CV levels, and some tuned reverb to beef up the sound a bit.

Astro Vibe 3 Module Challenge 1.vcv (2.9 KB)

Sorry about changing recording levels mid stream. It gets louder at 2:54, but nothing outrageous.

I still need to study the internal routing and try to understand better what many of the controls do. I may have patch cables that are doing effectively nothing.

3 Likes

Same patch as before, except I replaced the reverb with Erica Synths Fusion Delay. Clearly the same, but completely different.

Astro Vibe 3 Module Challenge 2.vcv (2.8 KB)

A challenge like this is a good opportunity to explore different effects. Minimizes the distraction of a million options, and forces you to focus. I’ll stop posting with this configuration, but I’ll likely continue to experiment on my own.

2 Likes

my try for this challenge:

and here is the patch:

2022_02_14_3Modules_AstroVibe_01.vcv (4.3 KB)

5 Likes

Look ma, no reverb! Well, it’s mainly weird, but I’m gonna record 10 minutes of it and cut it up. Might be a nice way to generate minimal ~techno bits

2 Likes

What’s the small module on the top row?

2x4 sequencer from dBiz

1 Like

here is my second try:

the patch:

2022_02_15_rsmus7_3Modules_AstroVibe_02.vcv (4.1 KB)

1 Like

This is such a fun module, but I’ll give up now after hours of trying to get something musical from it. I tried resampling, using it as modulations source, self-modulation, sequencing different things and I always lack a few modules. Kudos to all here, I am not yet ready for a three module challenge I think :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Here is my entry:

(I was just going to do a 1 module challenge with astrovibe but then added delay and reverb :slight_smile:)

6 Likes

Nice, proper derelict spaceport vibes!

1 Like