ZZC Clock Module Sync issue

it is possible i am missing a audio driver or it is currupt… gonan check very quick

Ok that is quite strange to still have a flicker in BPM.

Only thing i can think of now is that your patch cable is broken… (just kidding :slight_smile: )

If your audio driver was missing then you would not be able to open the RME ASIO setting tool i think.

seems not to be the issue… so bizzare…

In response to a few images where you have what looks like very close but not quite synced BPM (where CLKD says 163 and ZZC says 162.97 for example) - bear in mind that the ZZC clock is displaying 2 decimal places and Clocked is not. If ZZC had the same integer BPM display as Clocked it would say 163 too. and 3/100s of a BPM difference is probably to all intents and purposes perfect sync - particularly as this is being perpetually recalculated and will not drift over time.

Another thing I’d note is that when syncing clocks, faster is generally better - so I would put Clocked in X24 mode and set ZZC to recieve 24ppqn clock. It won’t fix the display issue but it will make the receiving clock sync quicker and be much more responsive to changes in tempo etc.

For me, ZZC clock is pretty much always showing 0.02 of a BPM under what Clocked says as in pic below.

With the hardware Pam’s New Workout, when syncing to external clock, out of the box, the display is usually about 1bpm off what DAW says for many people and it actually has a calibration control to change how it calculates the displayed value so you can make it display the same - it not actually changing anything other than the BPM display - there is no change to the pulses it is receiving or outputting - and even if you don’t calibrate it to show same BPM value, it is still in perfect sync.

2 Likes

This prompts me to ask Eurikon if they can re-test the patch… this time by changing the BPM a bit to see if it syncs at various Tempos…

And people, wow what a wealth of information… clock/sync/phase is the most fundemental yet overlooked concept in modular music

1 Like

That was a lot of learning but i finally Phase Synced Bitwig with VCV… let the wonkiness begin!

1 Like

I did indeed do that earlier today already, and ZZC locked into exact sync quit fast. Only way above 218 is where it sometimes displayed 2 decimal places a bit longer.

And good point indeed from Steve, also in an earlier conversation with Marc about the numbers behind the comma he told me that Clocked will sync up numbers behind the comma as well, but rounds it off when displaying the value on screen.

The thing is , even if Clocked is at lets say 120 and ZZC is fixed at 120.xx as long as it is not fluctuating then they are in sync.

Yet because of ZZC Clock (Reset issues) I am back to using Clocked to sync BW. @marc_boule have you ever thought of adding phase to Clocked? would be a very useful expansion

3 Likes

A bit, but I’d have to see how compatible it is with the current implementation, which is not at all obvious. So it would need more work really, and unfortunately it’s not planned in the near future.

1 Like

Hi there!

@Soothsayer, can you give me a bit more information about those reset issues which you got with ZZC Clock? I’m pretty sure they can be fixed, I just need to know the details about what happens.

If it feels complicated and can take too much noise to this thread, then feel free to fill an issue at the https://github.com/zezic/zzc/issues

Numbers after the comma

The synchronization algorhitm of the ZZC Clock is based on the processArgs.sampleTime variable which is of type float and on its own is calculated like 1 / sampleRate (source) by Rack itself. So, I guess, my clock has an issue with the floating point accuracy which leads to the cumulative error and results that number flickering… I will try to use the double type for such calculations, will see if it makes things better.

5 Likes

i may have solved the reset issue… wonderful ideas you’ve got. Conducting further testin