ZetaCarinae module thread: Upcoming plans

@hamptonio this is the first version of Firefly I’ve tested, but I really like the sounds I’m getting out of it! One small suggestion I have would be to change the gain parameter’s label to measure in decibels. Also the output can get crazy hot (\in [-30, 30] with max gain), which seems a little extreme considering most audio rate signals will stay in \in [-5, 5] if emulating Eurorack. Maybe consider adding an optional soft/hard clipper to keep the outputs in range?

Thanks for the feedback! I will follow your suggestions on restricting the output. I’m hoping to release a more final version to the library in the next week or two.

Latest (1.1.18) version of my modules has the new Firefly oscillator. I am thinking of adding a switch to change the frequency ratio control from more or less arbitrary ratios to octaves only, which may be more musically useful. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks to Xenakios for fixing some coding issues in previous modules as well.

My next goal is to complete a multi-wavetable synth voice; nothing very novel but it combines a bunch of functionality that would take a few existing modules to reproduce.

3 Likes

A nice holiday present: my daughter created logos for each of the eight modules I have created so far. I’ve added them into the documentation. Hopefully she will continue with these if I make more.

7 Likes

Hi everyone,

I know my modules are pretty niche and not heavily used, I just wanted anyone who is interested to know that I plan on porting them to Rack v2, along with some bugfixes and improvements, hopefully in the next month or two. I also have some ideas for another two or three modules that I hope to get to after that (I am just overwhelmed right now with other career duties).

11 Likes

Great news - I love your modules!

OK, that seemed almost disappointingly easy, I think I have recompiled my modules successfully for Rack 2.

Unless I’m missing something (all too possible), these should get reviewed and in the library soon.

4 Likes

Sometimes one is lucky and that is literally all that is needed. :wink:

You could now of course add Rack v2 specific new things, like the port names.

1 Like

OK, I’ll give that a shot, seems pretty straightforward.

I love your modules!

Thanks! It actually means a lot to hear that, I know I haven’t documented them terribly well so I don’t expect them to be used too much. Hopefully I can improve on that. I have a lot of ideas for more modules, just don’t have the time and energy to do them right now.

1 Like