XTRTN 1.2.0

This is quite a big update to the XTRTN plugin.

Two new modules:

• Ichneumonid: Randomly (or deterministically) switches between signals without creating discontinuities. The probabilities of crossing over may be configured separately for each signal. U2UD2D mode prevents sharp changes-in-direction, creating smoother patterns ideal for combining LFOs.
  • Meganeura: Four toggle-able clock tempo multipliers with three product-multipliers for more complex behaviours and reaching higher tempos. May keep track of two clocks at once, to seemlessly flip between base-tempos.

Other changes:

• Hallucigenia can remember up to 16 different states (by triggering save/load on different polyphonic channels).
  • Opabinia accepts polyphonic input for waveshaping and distortion.
  • Modulo has been completely redesigned, is now compact and polyphonic.
  • Splitterbust has new graphics to fit in with the other modules.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. If anything is confusing, do check out the XTRTN guide - I’m always adding new details and improvements there. I hope you get something useful, or at least fun, out of these modules <3 Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

13 Likes

When I saw Ichneumonid I got excited because it looks like it kinda does something that I frequently do with 2 instances of VCV Octal Router, which is take several signals and switch between them, either randomly or deterministically. Octal Router can crossfade or jump instantly.

Ichneumonid seems to do all of those things. But it seems to random switch inputs – which I want – but it seems to have a mind of it’s own about how quickly to switch between inputs. As near as I can figure the switching time is a function of the Arrive & Depart probabilities along with the Crossing knob, which the documentation says “Probability of attempting a cross-over at an intersection”

To which I say “huh?” What are the intersections whereof you speak? Can you explain a little more what it’s actually doing under the hood? I notice that if I turn up Crossing much past 0.5 it switches so fast that it works as a form of distortion.

Possible enhancements – a clock input which would drive when a crossover happens. I’m all for things happening randomly but even randomness needs to happen in an orderly way sometimes :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll try my best to explain this using pictures. So, here I have a screen shot of two scopes. On the left scope there are the traces from two input signals. On the right scope is the trace from the output of Ichneumonid. image

Here I have drawn yellow circles over what I mean by “intersections” on the input signals. These are the points where the two input signals overlap (technically, when they equal eachother (even more technically, when they’re within a small distance of eachother set by an invisible tolerance variable)). To create the continuous output, the module is switching over at these specific points. I don’t have any cross-fading or addition going on. My intention here was to mix the outputs without any “dilution” (I hope that’s not being too metaphorical haha) of the qualities of the incoming signals.

I don’t think this idea in its current form is compatible with a clock signal, as the events are at discrete moments. But I will look into what you’ve described and possibly making another module or an expander with those ideas. Also I’ll work on making more detailed in-depth descriptions on the webpage in the next few days. Thank you again :smiley:

5 Likes

Oh this is a super cool idea. Downloading now because that’s really clever. One of the other weird, innovative switch styles I’ve seen is in the NLC Chopper (Bi-di Choppers — Nonlinearcircuits), but the results on that are not, uh, particularly click-free to say the least.

1 Like

This is really cool. Would you consider releasing some simplified versions? Like Minineura, a version of Meganeura without the flip function. Best regards, A.

1 Like

Yes, that is a good idea. Looking back, the flip-function feels very niche and unnecessary 90% of the time.

But no rush! If you happen to work on a new module just finish that one first. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Let me also have a question. On Splitterburst there is a separate GATE and CLOCK input. Is there any difference? Any input with a rising voltage (>+2V) would be OK, wouldn’t it?

1 Like

Will do! Might add another Gate/Multi/Out row to the simplified version, just to use the space fully (I like dense modules!). I will probably make the module soon - and it will definitely be the next module I make.

For Splitterburst, GATE controls whether Splitterburst is multiplying the tempo or not. There are multiple ways to enable/disable the multiplication (whether the module is multiplying or not is indicated by the blue lights). It is a little bit confusing because there is also the equivalent of a trigger-to-gate module packed into the same module to use instead - see [the manual entry for Splitterburst](https://extratone.xyz/modules#Splitterburst). The tempo is determined by how often the CLOCK input is triggered. I hope that all makes sense?

Yes, a 2V signal would be enough to switch on the gate, or trigger the clock - I believe a 1V signal would also be enough in this case (I realise that I'm probably not following the voltage standards perfectly!) Feel free to ask any more questions you have - sorry if I'm being a bit slow to reply!

I regretfully realized that you are fond of dense modules. :slight_smile: I could easily double the hp size of your modules.

Instead of another GATE/MULT/OUT row I’d suggest putting there some kind of XOR, XAND or similar trigger output. Alternatively I’d suggest studying the greenish colored CV output on Repelzen’s re-burst that is an excellent idea. I usually re-feed that CV to the distortion of Obapinia to change the character of the multiplied hits. (Also works well in case of snares.)

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into them and keep you updated. Apologies for being so dense! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

By the way, is it Opabinia or Obapinia? Manual, library search, module label is not consistent.

1 Like

Opabinia! I never noticed the typo on the module until now… and I use it like every day haha - I will definitely fix that ASAP.

3 Likes

It has arrived to the Library. Enjoying a lot! :partying_face:

1 Like

You’ve beaten me to it! Glad you’re enjoying it, and sorry for the delay.

A (probably unnecessary) guide is now available here: Mononeura
Changelog

2 Likes

But what is this? I read the manual but I’m still confused about it. What to use it for?

I use it to synchronise changes I make (such as muting and unmuting instruments) with a clock signal. I’ll make a full post on this later when I’ve beefed-up the website+guides more and maybe added a few more modules.

1 Like

Mesohyl is mainly for manual tweaking, isn’t it? Dedicated for live performance, I assume…

1 Like

Yes! I’m writing the guide right now, shouldn’t be too long!