What does Mockba dualbuffer do ?

Does anybody knows what Mockba Modular duallBUFFER does ?

DualBUFFER(1)

It looks like it takes a signal and is out puts 10 volts if the input is positive and 0 volts of it is necative.

So logically it is the inverse of the Mockba NOT gate.

To be more precise, output is 0V if the input is <= 0, or 10V if > 0.

Very odd terminology. I guess it is related to a gate buffer, something that I had never heard of before.

To me it is is simply converting an analog CV input into a digital high (10V), or low (0v) value, based on some threshold. Normally I would use either two NOT gates, or else a comparator to get the same result.

The Mockba logic modules are very odd in that they consider any value >0 to be high, no matter how infinitesimal the positive value is.

I’m used to logic modules and trigger/gate inputs requiring a much more significant positive value to be considered high. For example, the Submarine logic modules configured for 0-10V range require a signal >5V to be considered high. And the VCV gate/trigger inputs for RANDOM, SEQ 3, and Sequential Switches require a 2V input to reach a high state.

I would have assumed that anything over 0 is high and bellow it is low but I guess there are a lot of different views on that.

well, I guess it can be whatever you want. But the VCV standards sort of imply not:

" Therefore, trigger inputs in Rack should be triggered by a Schmitt trigger with a low threshold of about 0.1V and a high threshold of around 1 to 2V . Rack plugins can implement this using dsp::SchmittTrigger with schmittTrigger.process(rescale(x, 0.1f, 2.f, 0.f, 1.f))"

Thanks for sharing your science !

1 Like