What Do You Want To See In VCV?

Thx for the suggestion and I can see how that would work in theory, but how that would be an improvement on using a VCA level?

1 Like

If you want to turn a signal on/off, then a vca is good. If you want to switch between active/bypass (wet/dry) then a cross fader gives you that in one switch, instead of a pair of countered VCAs. That’s all

The advantage of Bypass over attenuation/fading is that the module doesn’t consume CPU when bypassed. For a large patch, this could be a great way to manage cpu consumption.

2 Likes

substitute “module doesn’t need to consume CPU when bypassed” and I would agree. I’d bet there are some (many?) out there that still use full CPU when they are bypassed.

1 Like

I can’t find any full documentation anywhere.

Pico2 is different from Pico Drums. Pico2 is a drum synth, pico drums is a sampler.

did you try googling? Plugin Development Tutorial - VCV Rack Manual

https://vcvrack.com/docs-v2/annotated

Are you sure? As far as I’m aware, in V2, not all modules are bypassable, they need the developer to facilitate it. As a minimum I belive by simply copying input to output, unaltered, in which case there will be at least a little bit of CPU usage because there’s processing going on.

I think all modules are bypassable. If the developer doesn’t do anything, then I don’t think that a bypassed module will do anything useful.

But for the simplest modules all the developer needs to do is specify which inputs to be copied and VCV rack does the copying automatically.

The module’s process method is not called while the module is bypassed

1 Like

I think this would be possible, but it might be risky / cause instability.

Normally bypassing is done from the ui thread. Any relevant callbacks in the module being bypassed might have been written on the assumption that they would be called from the ui thread. Calling them from the audio thread might cause problems, and not calling them at all would also be undesirable.

You could do the bypass from the ui thread, having detected that you need to from within the audio thread. But that also leads to problems. It limits the rate at which you can switch on and off, and it wouldn’t work at all in headless configurations.

FWIW I have a set of effects modules by-passable using a trig signal
way before the bypass was introduced in VCV 2.0

example

(and many others )

6 Likes

Well yes and no. Yes in the sense that you can right-click on all modules and select bypass, and neither Rack nor the module will explode. No in the important sense that it doesn’t do what you expect unless the developer did something to implement it. Plenty of modules where bypassing them means “all signals through this module are now blocked”, like in V1, which is usually not what we understand to be “bypass”.

Ah, good to know, I learned something.

2 Likes