What are your favorite 'complex' effect modules?

Vult Incubus , I have lots of compositions modulating it, this module is huge, I specially like the fx combo , would be great have the fx combo of the incubus in a single module, @modlfo

3 Likes

I agree , Vult Incubus has a very special delay section, that works wonders within Incubus, it would be great to have that separate. Have you managed to get anything out of Portland Weather by Frozen Wasteland, maybe I did not feed it properly when I had a go with it. :wink:

1 Like

Since I wrote Portland Weather, I get stuff out of it all the time :slight_smile: What exactly was your issue?

Maybe I was putting the wrong cables into it, I did not get much sounds of it, especially when I compared it to the Rainmaker module on YouTube. I’m only a beginner on VCV rack, I think I should go back and try it again, now I know about a bit more about VCV Rack. Any guidance from you would be most welcome. What sounds are the best to put into? Do u need to put your comb filter module into the fx chain? Any sound demos and patches would be much appreciated. Or YouTube videos. Thanks for any help you can provide.

1 Like

Here there Is a tutorial of Omri Cohen if you are looking for complex clocked delay It’s very good httpss://youtu.be/LtPm1LNPPUA

Since it is a “rhythmic” multi-tap delay, sounds with shorter durations (and/or percussion) are the most obvious things to feed into it, but anything will work. No, the comb filter is optional, but cool to put in the feedback loop

1 Like

Thanks Eric, useful information is always appreciated, I have tried it out on Atelier Palette with some interesting results, I think I will try the comb filter after the Portland Weather or before, does it matter?

it’s modular - no really wrong way to plug things together as long as it sounds cool. In rainmaker, the comb filter is in the feedback loop (so you’d use the FB Send/Return to Hair Pick)

Thanks for your time, any new modules in the pipeline? Have a good Christmas!

not at the moment. Just released new updates to Frequency Domain and Frozen Wasteland, so need a break :smiley:

Oh dear, missed the fact u made Frequency Domain as well, u do indeed deserve a rest, both sets are beautiful works of art! Is there anyway to make the Frequency Domain modules use less CPU, not complaining just that sometimes depending how many modules I use, there seems to be a lag factor. Any suggestions?

oddly enough, modules doing complex audio manipulation with visualizations require more CPU usage :), so no, not really they are already taking advantage of things like SIMD, etc.

Thought that might be the case, I’ll just have to be picky what I use with the Frequency Domain fxs, not a problem, I found Audible Instruments Texture Synthesizer to CPU intensive whist Greyscale’s Supercell isn’t! All the best for Christmas and thanks for your good advice.

Haha, can’t be made more efficient. That’s a pretty bold statement.

I’m sure it could be made more efficient, but there is also diminishing returns. And at some point there is x amount of work to get done.

1 Like

Yes. That totally makes sense.