What are you listening to?

Jean-Michel Jarre’s latest single, homage to musique concrète pioneer and composer Pierre Henry

4 Likes

He’s only human :

Fripp has always been one of the most eccentric people in rock’n roll, and appearently La Toyah is no different. Keeps them young I guess and it’s always good for a laugh.

2 Likes

I would never have expected the song to defeat him most to be Won’t Get Fooled Again which is only a handful of chords. I wonder if his strange tuning makes the hard things simple and the easy things difficult?

1 Like

:mirror_ball:

3 Likes

editted cos YT is lame

UK-Australian band Sky with their 1980 interpretation of Bach’s Toccata

6 Likes
1 Like

Fantastic. I wonder if I was inspired by Sky back in the 80’s. Ever since building my first modular synth in 1973, I have been fascinated with studying and playing the Toccata and Fugue. In the late 80s or early 90s, I bought a Roland PK-5 MIDI bass floor pedal board, just for playing the piece. When I was developing Meander in 1988, I coded the ability to save generated music to MIDI files and the ability to play MIDI files. I did most of my testing using a MIDI file recording of the Toccata and Fugue via my Ensoniq Mirage, Roland alpha-Juno II, Roland Sound Canvas and a little later the Kurzweil K2000RS.

So, this brings back found memories. Bach was a rock star.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Ah, maybe this is where my Toccata and Fugue obsession originated. For Halloween 1973, I set up my modular synth with my 2 gigantic Bruce bass powered speaker cabinets and strobe lights in the university ghetto. My hair was literally down to my tailbone;) As I played Toccatta inspired modular music (or perhaps it was noise), no parents let their kids come to our door trick-or-treating.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Gorgeous vocals.

It was my first eye-opener into classical music and I’ve been in love with it ever since. There’s nothing like it when playing a good recording of it on a great HIFI system. I first was exposed to it as a kid through the 1975 film Rollerball where it was used to scary effect :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sean Jackson at the organ. Very good IMO.

2 Likes

Some of you may have listened to my Rack V1 version of Toccata and Fugue in Dm with the following description.

“This piece was produced in VCV Rack, using the Entrian Timeline Sequencer playing the Arturia V Collection B-3 Cathedral Organ. I transcribed the sheet music into Timeline by hand. This piece is not perfect, but here it is.”

Inputing this note by note from the sheet music was a real learning experience and took a while to get all 8:35 completed.

3 Likes

Passacaglia in C min was always my jam!

1 Like

I was watching a YouTube of Passacaglia in C min just now and it starts out focused on the organist’s feet. That reminds me of a story that someone who should have known told me years ago that serious pipe organists would sometimes have their feet broken and reset at an angle so they could press two pedals with the same foot. Is that true? I can’t see anything regarding that in a quick Google.