=== very cool patch challenge, edition 51 ===

yes, unfortunately that didn’t make it to version 1

Easy enough to count anyway. Any module that is 10hp i.e. Fundamental LFO. Duplicate 11 times, line up horizontally, minus 1hp.

Have I missed something important? Wouldn’t that be 109 hp?

1 Like

Nice challenge, definitely up for it! Never really considered screen estate to be a limiting factor before so should be interesting :straight_ruler: Feels like I’ll be discovering some 1-2 HP wide modules that I might have overlooked.

Divisors of 104: {1,2,4,8,13,26,52,104} :smiley:

2 Likes

Fixed racks are neat! I keep a main jamming fixed rack, it’s a 128hp*18U monster however, so I can’t submit it as-is and will make a tiny one for this challenge. While 128hp isn’t a standard eurorack size, it happens to fit perfectly on my 1080p tablet display at 100% zoom - it’s built around a real hardware constraint I have rather than one inherited from real hardware.

Be sure to see also this recent thread if you’re interested in discussing fixed racks in general:

3 Likes

if i go for 3 rows, and try to be screen-filling, then it’s going to be wider indeed. anything is fine really, but i would recommend keeping the template patch smaller rather than larger, for two reasons:

1. easier to keep an overview of the whole patch
  2. limitations breed creativity
1 Like

C583C328-4ECC-479A-A5FD-ACC887A00DCF

:blush:

8 Likes

What I’m doing here so far is just trying to add modules that give me maximum “bang for the buck” (i.e. Catronomix 8xlfo) and then seeing what they can do. I’m curious about other people’s methods, however. Are you starting out by making a cool sounding patch and then thinking about what else you can do with it or what?

Another issue I’m facing is a generalisable approach to polyphony, ie a way to relate control stuff to actual pitches and cv values in a flexible way.

1 Like

Here’s my submission, the Yoshi Paint 51 System.

It’s a tiny 104hp×6U system with an unorthodox curation of modules, but it has a lot of potential - so long as you’re ready to patch it creatively. I had to make a lot of difficult choices to make it this small. Modules were chosen very deliberately for having many potential functions. It’s meant as a kinda synth/beat workstation, and best enjoyed with a MIDI keyboard, or at least QWERTY MIDI.

The big button sequencer is your main sequencer. It’s best programmed live! You can’t program a long song on it, but it’s a very fun module to jam with.

Three Starling Via modules are used in this system. While they look intimidating and don’t seem very popular, they’re wonderfully deep modules with an excellent documentation. Hardware Via modules can be reprogrammed to act as any other module of the collection, so if you’re gonna change a module when using this rack, consider changing a Via module for another.

There’s three sample players (bring your own WAV files) and no dedicated drum module, but there’s many tricks to have more percussion. The META can be used as a drum voice, and so can the filters.

There aren’t many filters, but the mixer features a very aggressive EQ for sound sculpting.

Demo video:

On patchstorage, you’ll find an archive with the empty rack, the example beats from the video, and the samples used in the demos (kick, hi-hat, ride cymbal, yoshi sound).

12 Likes

when i did this last time, my approach was: if i’m making a fixed, self-contained instrument, what parts do i need? then i went thru the list of available modules for each needed part and tried to find ones that offer good features for the screen real estate they are taking up. add enough so we could have multiple voices.

as for polyphony, i’m actually quite ambivalent about that. in my own patching i very rarely go beyond stereo. i usually want to process and modulate different voices differently, so polyphony almost never applies to my work flow.

of course, different people have different approaches, and that’s the interesting part about this exercise. for example, in the template @Aria_Salvatrice just posted, there is a midi-cv module, which i would simply never think to add, because i never use midi with vcv rack. my stuff is generative, with a lot of semi-random modulation. my own patches are set up, not played. i’m interested to see what diversity this challenge will produce!

Yes it would be, you’re paying attention then!

1 Like

Being still at a beginner’s level I try to work on what I am currently doing: Seeing what Oscillators can do for me with a minimum of complex modules.

I am mainly putting stuff from the core modules together and spice them with a few useful tools I like by a different developer.

For people being used to more complex modules such as Impromptu’s sequencers, some of Aria Salvatrice’s modules, Nysthi and Frozen wasteland it might be a either shockingly boring because they know how to play the basics up and down or back to the rootish inspiring.

i’ve been around vcv rack for a few years now. impromptu sequencers are black boxes to me. i’m sure they are very capable, but i have no clue how to program them. i keep meaning to find some omri video or something to unlock their mysteries to me, but never get around to it.

so i understand what you mean. straightforward, easily discoverable modules rule. on the other hand, it can really pay off to dig into certain more complex modules, because they open up such wonderful possibilities!

3 Likes

I really love Gate-Seq64 and Phrase-Seq16. If you find the time start with this one:

Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8_rMNzsS7w

and afterwards follow up:

Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2w0_h5oN6M

Even if you are not familiar with Spanish you should be able to work this one out:

Summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEMzHX_z4Ik

2 Likes

I keep thinking that I ought to mess about with foundry but I bounce off the interface.

1 Like

They’re worth the effort. For live I really like Big Button, though once Entrian matures a bit I think that’ll become my main everything sequencer, even though I’ve spent many hours writing my own (nearly done). Oh well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does the audio-8 need to be in the “fixed” part? It takes a lot of space!

fixed-rack-d.vcv (61.6 KB)

1 Like

as the original post says, you are free to use other dimensions (i probably will do so myself). or you could replace one of the segment generators with something smaller and make it fit. either way, this is an acceptable submission.

2 Likes

Home Office is free time? Nope it isn’t but every bit of spare time went into this challenge:

Three examples:

3 Likes