=== very cool patch challenge edition 31 ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase a particular module in a creative way, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

this time the featured module is mid/side matrix by aP modules
and you are encouraged to use the other modules from aP as well

== rules ==
• make a patch in vcv rack using the chosen module and upload your patch to https://patchstorage.com/ and/or in your reply to this thread
• tag your upload with vcp-31
• you are encouraged to only use free modules in the patch, but this is not required
• make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube
• add a link to your video as a comment to this post (these videos will be collected in a playlist)
• give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, may 20th
(though late entries will still be added to the playlist)

a new challenge with a different module will be announced every other tuesday.

2 Likes

I honestly didn’t want to be first to enter this week mainly because I really don’t know what a mid/side matrix is for. I found a couple of uses for it but I’m not sure what I did made any sense. Also the name of my track is pretty silly:

Please excuse my experimental video transforms as well. I thought I might be able to guide the viewer through the patch but I didn’t think it through enough. Next time it will be better.
Here’s the patch:
https://patchstorage.com/vcp-31-how-chomps/
1 Like

maybe this can help? https://www.izotope.com/en/blog/mastering/what-is-midside-processing.html

2 Likes

well, now i feel foolish.
Edit: okay, I get it. Still not sure what I want to do with it but i do get it.
(anyone else who has no idea should probably read the page ablaut linked)

One thing it’s great for is bizarre bass tones on the sum channel… while preserving a lot of space and “air” on the sides.

A rather neat implementation can be found in the Oberhausen synth where the filter can be employed using M/S.

1 Like

the LRMSMSLR eurorack module from Worng Electronics looks kind of similar to aP’s Mid/Side Matrix. The manual on the Worng website has some good patch suggestions. Also, DivKid has a video for using the LRMSMSLR that might prompt some helpful creative ideas. cheers…

LRMSMSLR manual

DivKid LRMSMSLR vid…

1 Like

VCP-31 Starlight dream

Hi Rackerz

Today(tonight) I presents my entry to Very Cool Patch Challenge no. 31 manage by Ben de Groot aka. Ablaut. In this time rules of contest is use mid/side matrix from aP-Modules. That’s all for now. It’s too late for me now. I’m gona sleep. Tomorrow I will write something about my patch. Cya Guys and Gals.

vcp-31 Starlights dreams.vcv (90.9 KB)

Patchstorage: VCP-31 Starlight dreams | Patchstorage

2 Likes

Nice work!
I’m curious as to whether you know how to use mid/side matrices “properly”? Now that I’ve figured it out I actually have a much better patch coming along. It might even not have any screeching in it.

isnt that the fun part though?

1 Like

I’ve never really been convinced by the idea that ignorance can inspire a person to make more innovative art. That seems to only work for some tools and contexts. So I decided that, having learned what a mid/side matrix actually does, I would take another shot at VCP-31. It is here:

This is the patch:
https://patchstorage.com/vcp-31-badoof/

And this time you might even be able to dance to it*!

• the creators of this patch and video are not responsible for any insincerity or “sarcasm” found in this post.
2 Likes

i used the mid-side matrix in my livestream today, but only for widening to the stereo field by adding high-passed delay to the sides. feel free to skip to the last few minutes.

patch at https://patchstorage.com/mutations-05-19-odd-perambulations/

Still not sure I know how to use it. I think I understand what’s going on and then I try something out and, nope, I’m not sure again. I think I’m gonna have to go back to Piong based patches.:wink:

I’m thinking about making new patch with this module. But for me and my “non-proffessional” ears this effects are very delicate… :smile:

All it does is allow you to separate a stereo signal into the mid channel and the side channel and then put different effects on them.
But it doesn’t seem to separate things perfectly.

Understood the idea of this manipulation but now I’m away from my studio and can’t reconfigure it to make new one patch. :smiley: So anyway i wait for some another contributors. I’m think this time Ben gives us difficult challenge. This is not very easy thing.

I think it’s not really a “headline” module. For people who already knew what mid/side matrices do there’s not much potential to play with it. You’re not really playing with the module, as such, but the technique. It was very useful for me, though.

Here is my entry for VCV Rack Very Cool Patch challenge 31
At about 2/3rds in, I experimented with doing a cheeky audio walkthrough using text-2-speech conversion. respect to you tutorial makers, that’s a lot of work!

I made two versions of this patch. one that is mainly controlled by c.v. automation, and the one I’m primarily using here to live-tweak with a Korg NanoKontrol.
Usually when I’m building a patch, i’ve got about half of an understanding of what i’m doing or trying to achieve, and the other fifty percent is experimenting around for happy accidents.
I had a few ideas of how i could use this module, so i’ve got three instances here, each with somewhat different function. I think the most successful use was for creating a wide dub style reverb for the drums, where the center panned sounds are not affected, and whatever gets panned picks up more of the verb.
Overall, I had a great time playing around with this module, and I think it has a lot of potential for further exploration.
thanks so much to Ben for hosting the challenge, and also big ups to Alessandro of aP for some super cool modules!
thanks for listening!
here’s the patch… https://patchstorage.com/vcp-31-mid-side-mutations/
3 Likes

This is my contribution to the Very Cool Patch Challenge Edition 31. This time we had to use the module Mid/Side Matrix from aP Modules. I used every module from aP and a lot more others. The Mid/Side Matrix processes the signal from Meta by Via/Starling, which is the scratchy one. There were other versions with visualisation, but that was too much for my computer when it comes to recording. So here is the basic patch. The name is a description of the patch, which is supposed to be a water circle begining with drops of rain falling down and slowly becoming a rivulet, a river, a stream, dropping down waterfalls and finally reaching the ocean and condensing again in the air to become rain again. And in the language Sanskrit aP indeed means water, so this was my inspiration. :metal::sunglasses:

3 Likes

i try to switch it up and highlight different kinds of modules. i also sometimes see modules that look interesting and i just want to see what people can do with it… we can all learn from the experience.

2 Likes

playlist here:

i will add any stragglers, as it is still monday here