=== very cool patch challenge edition 29 ===

my entry is my livestream, in which i made two patches using macro oscillator 2 for percussive sounds

https://patchstorage.com/mutations-04-21-odd-machines/
has 7 over 5 polyrhythm (in the video around the 45 minute mark)

https://patchstorage.com/mutations-04-21-euclidean-elevensies/
has 11/4 odd meter (around the 1 hour 40 minute mark)

3 Likes

Hi everybody. First of all, happy Easter! This is my entry to this challenging challenge. Thanks @Omri_Cohen for the live stream about VIA Collection and to Ben for hosting this challenge.

The Challenge (Thanks @Ablaut) had, in my understanding, two distinguished parts: First, we had to chose one drum module to make a patch with. My choice went to the new META (Via collection by Starling https://starling.space/). All the voices come out of three instances of this guy. Those guys are really awesome. Second: We had to build something rhythmic with odd meters and/or polyrhythms. I used maby not the right sequencer but I wanted to go deeper in the Immpromptuā€™s gate sequencer. I let some place for Euclide in this patch usingThe GATESEQ also from Starlingā€¦so deep module as well. More description about the process in the video. Cheers. Hereā€™s the patch. METAstique.vcv (94.1 KB) All the patched Ive shared till now: deniou, Author at Patchstorage

Hope you enjoy. :wink:

Omriā€™s stuff about Starlingā€™s VIA: https://youtu.be/MJyD2cVwst4

4 Likes

Hey, I will have a listen later today, it looks very interesting! The Starling modules are insanely deep, and Iā€™m curious to hear what youā€™ve done with them :slight_smile:

1 Like

VCP-29 Hypnotic Noises aka. Rythm-Poly Flyers

Dear Rackers this is my entry to VCP.

VCP-29 Hypnotic noise.vcv (74.6 KB)

2 Likes

I love the opening Marimba-like voices! Reminds me of San Jacinto which is one of my favorites:

1 Like

@rsmus7
Nice and meditative. Trummor was a logic choice. Nice patch.

@computerscare
Yes. I have to explore those cptscare modulesā€¦ Very good for those rhythmic challenge. Nice use of the noise. Would be very impressed if youā€™d manage to use noise even for the BD. :wink:

@the1andonlydrno
I love this patch. Maybe not really respect the terms of the challenge since there are many different drum module but man. How did you manage to get a recognizable rhythm with all of these imoredictable sequencingā€¦ To big for my computer though.

@dag2099
Very interested in the ā€œmechanismā€ you put in place. META is a great moduleā€¦ Along to explore one! This was also the one I chose for my entryā€¦ And I spent hours to find the right sound shaping.

@AdiQ
You already know :wink:
I would be glad if you could give me a feedback on mineā€¦ You donā€™t have to thoughšŸ¤—

@musicHack
Completely out of the challenge since thereā€™s no either polyrhythm neither odd meters. By the way, I thought weā€™d to chose one drum moduleā€¦ But the patch is cool.

@ablaut
Simple and comprehensive. I love the pluck bass sound you put out this plaits.

@jedrzejewskimk
Really nice one. Canā€™t figure the purpose of the noisy sound in the middle of that. Itā€™s grooving right though.

3 Likes

I wish i had the patience to spend hours finding the right sound. I just tend to plug random things together in the hope that they make an interesting noise. (And when I do take the time to do something ā€œproperlyā€ it comes close to bringing on an anxiety attack).

Alright, sorry it took me so long to comment. I actually was halfway through the videos the other day, came across @ablaut 's and realized I totally messed up on making polyrhythms. We had this conversation before in the VCV facebook group awhile back referencing a divkid post in the Eurorack Synthesizers group, and I just had it backwards in my head. You have to multiply your main clock, not divide like I did, smacking myself now. Learning experiences are what this is all about though I feel like:)

Hereā€™s some comments, even though I didnā€™t exactly earn it:

@rsmus7 , I love this melody, its just really pleasing to the ear! Kind of crazy you got this with Trummor2?! nice!

@computerscare , seriously cool percussion with mostly noise, respect! Love this tremolo effect and feedback(towards the end, almost wish there was more). One day I will figure out how to use your modules, maybe a not too far distant VCP?

@the1andonlydrno , really cool rhythms and drum sounds, and this bass that comes in is nostalgic to me, I cant place what it reminds me of, maybe an old computer game:) Especially love how the rhythms are always evolving to new places and how you did the dancing visuals! nice work!

@dag2099 , Iā€™d say you definitely achieved polyrhythms, great success! Love the acid-y and vocoder-like timbres you are getting. I need to explore the Starling collection a bit more.

@ablaut I like to watch you explore with a vision in mind, but share control with the random elements of the patch, and by the time you end it always sounds good. I thought you stated the whole polyrhythm thing perfectly around 32 mins, made me laugh, love this bass at 44mins. I definitely recommend catching Benā€™s livestream, I had to miss this one live unfortunately, but its always fun to watch and interact, almost like your learning & patching together, and can take the inspiration to your own patches, and he always recommends good music!

@denis.tercier , these rhythms and sounds are awesome, giving me idm vibes! Thatā€™s one style along with ambient that I love but always have trouble with making. You definitely achieved a polyrhythmic & percussive result in full spirit of the VCP challenge! I have a hard time giving constructive feedback on music since the experience as a composer or listener is so subjective, and this patch already is a 9/10 imo, but I might have done a couple things different to enhance it more, such as use a different reverb over percussion (like the Blamsoft or AS since they are cleaner sounding than plate reverb) although I like how you turned down the diffusion, decay, and turned up the predelay, iā€™m sure it helped. Also, omg this could have used a nice moody drone or pad to bring it home to perfection. Seriously creative and musical work at a high level with limitations fully adhered too.

@jedrzejewskimk polyrhythms achieved! Great job showing us how its done! Always love your patches, they always have a playful side to them with lots of complexity. I have to agree that noise is odd, although I really love noise and think it needs to be used more in peoples patches, keep doing your thing!

@musicHack , Iā€™m digging this lead sound and melody quite a bit! Kind of makes me want to dance, and I think you maybe got some polyrhythms going with the logic on the hand drums, Iā€™m not sure but I like it:)

@AdiQ what happened?! I think you got lost in some other challenge. Maybe you could have done actual polyrhythms, used a filter on that pulse wave, and do you always have to have so many notes going at once, just relax man. Nice effort though.

I think we are missing some people this time, hope they come back, and thanks again Ben!

4 Likes

The greatest feedback I ever had. Thank you VERY MUCH Adi. I was strengthed by my CPU consumption, so I couldnā€™t add more elements. Anyway, my wish was to make something exclusively percussive. I could (youā€™re damned right on this) explore other reverb for this patch. But I assume that plateau can provide so many different coloursā€¦
Actually, there no really polyrithm. Just different odd meter length following each other. The polyrythmic effect comes out of the Euclidean sequence. I tried! But I couldnā€™t manage to combine polyrythmic stuff and different odd meters and make them grooving together. Iā€™ll try again, for sure. Have a nice week. And see you around the PLL in two weeks!

1 Like

thanks, @AdiQ for your friendly comments! iā€™m glad there are people out there who enjoy my livestreams and find them inspiring!

1 Like