=== very cool patch challenge edition 29 ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase a particular module in a creative way, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

this time the featured module is any drum or percussion module (including sampler modules with percussive samples) of your choice, to make a patch using an odd meter (for example 5 or 11 beats to a bar) and/or a polyrhythm

== rules ==
• make a patch in vcv rack using the chosen module and upload your patch to https://patchstorage.com/ and/or in your reply to this thread
• tag your upload with vcp-29
• you are encouraged to only use free modules in the patch, but this is not required
• make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube
• add a link to your video as a comment to this post (these videos will be collected in a playlist)
• give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, april 22nd
(though late entries will still be added to the playlist)

a new challenge with a different module will be announced every other tuesday.

5 Likes

Finally, a VCPC I actually have an idea on how I want my patch to sound like hahaha

1 Like

here is my entry:

I used 7x trummor2 for all sounds, Aepelzens gate sequencer is doing the sequencing with odd numbers for the steps of the sounds. Another instance of the gate sequencer is doing the sequencing of the tracks. just a chronoblob2 and an AI texture are coloring one track. A bit delay and the unevitable Plateau added, that’s it

you get the Aepelzens modules here:

and the patch: (just reset it, start the clock and let it run :wink: )

VCP-29_rsmus7_totally-trummorized.vcv (372.8 KB)

3 Likes

Here is my entry. I used Jerry Sievert’s Drumkit Bass Drum, and 4 instances of Colored Noise from Squinky for the percussion elements.

empjam-b-k-ocean-vcp-29-a-beg.vcv (34.5 KB)

3 Likes

Just to be clear, would Steve Reich style phasing qualify as a polyrhythm? (I’m self taught in music theory and because I wanted to play lead guitar I though “hah, I don’t need to learn about rhythm” so I’m a little bit ignorant about that stuff).

1 Like

i think that strictly spoken it isn’t the same. polyrhythm is when you have two (or more) rhythmic “lines” (melodies, voices, etc) that have a different amount of beats to the bar. they play the same bar length. there is also polymeter, where the “lines” have bars of different length, but the beats fall on the same place.

the phasing technique is like a mixture of the two, tho in places where the loops are in sync, they are perceived to have the same rhythm. the result sounds different from a polyrhythm.

that said, i don’t think anyone will object if you explore this technique for this challenge

1 Like

I do it all the time so I’m not concerned with that. It’s more trying to get what is or is not a polyrhythm. Another example: if i set up Clocked so that it has two outputs with ratios set to 4 and 5 I assume that would be a polyrhythm.

yes

1 Like

My contribution to the Very Cool Patch Challenge 29. This time we had to use a drum module with an odd beat and/or polyrhythm. My first thought was, well let’s use every drum module you have. But that was too much for my pc, maybe I try it again in Rack 1.0. Now I have the 3 Gate Seq with a pattern length of 31 as main rhythm source driving the drum kit. BD and Snare are with -60 swing and the hats with -30. But the whole thing starts with a Cabasa driven with an 7/8 beat, like in samba and Claves playing at 2/3/7/9 and Woodblock driven by the Turing Machine for something random. The 2 sets of Congas play on a straight beat driven by Meadowphysics from Monome. This one gets a -30 swing, that gives it that human touch. The Deep Drum is also driven by the Turing Machine but on aother gate. The Timbales play again in 7/8 beat. And there is that kind of fretless bass, a collaboration between the Turing Machine, LFN, Basal and Trummor2 for the melodic part and 2 different gates from the Turing Machine for the rhythmic part. Different combinations of all this parts create different polyrhythms with different beats. And that makes the little guys dance. They are made with the 3 HP blank module from Vult, with output VCV, merged with the audio signal and put in the Full Scope, but not in Lissajous mode. There are a lot of sweet spots one can find with the speed knob, it’s a little tricky to get what you want. Anyway, enjoy! :metal::sunglasses:

https://patchstorage.com/dancing-drums/

2 Likes

Hi Norbert, interesting patch, you used a lot of paid modules,
I would like to replace them with free ones,
(to see how you constructed this patch
and to learn something from it)
but I don’t have the Meadowphysics and the grid128series from Monome,
is it possible that you share them or a link where to download them? (compiled for Win)

Hi Stephan, I compiled the Monome Modules a while ago, the last versions didn’t work for me so here are those who work.

https://mega.nz/#!ohoQ2KrA the key is FOYIT7MJ-ytZasPdsTa7sVuGnkwcUJ30FhFWSKnBass

thanks a lot, these are working here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Darn. I didn’t read the rules for a few days and miss remembered what we were supposed to be doing. Don’t worry, i’ll come up with something interesting.

Okay, here we go:

https://patchstorage.com/vcp-29blarfirglf/

I used the new Starling META module and, what I hope qualifies as,some polyrhythms. I hope.
Also a weird little mechanism that I’ll be showcasing more in another video (soon to be uploaded) that I made for this challenge and then realised didn’t qualify because of the lack of drums.

2 Likes

I think I made polyrhythms? I don’t know, but I just divided the clock by 2,3, & 5, and sent to 4 LedSeq’s that each give you 5 sets of 16 steps. Trummor2, Functional VCO, & noise–>Rings for percussion, a 3 operator FM-OP synth for an arpeggio, and Clouds for high-pitched granular stuff. Aardvark (VCP-29).vcv (95.4 KB)

Side note: this nysthi Metaaardvark is awesome, its like having a clock synced random source, attenuverter, offset, slew limiter, and random triggers in one small module.

Also, I got a bit busy with school finals during the last competition and didn’t have time to make comments and replies, but this time I will for sure once all the entries are in. Thanks Ben for #29!

5 Likes

That’s exactly my worry.

I’m really no expert at polyrhythms, but I would think it is what you and I did.
I have set up the sequencer to have different length of steps for the rythms.
imho if not every sound (of the drums) uses the same meter/bet like 4/4 you create a polyrhythm.

1 Like

don’t worry, guys! there is no disqualification. it’s just meant to inspire exploring possibly new territory.

and while i haven’t examined your patches (yet), it sounds like you did create polyrhythms.

thanks for taking part!

1 Like

i’m building the playlist at

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/69Bcfer5SUo

Entry for VCP-29

The patch:

DrumCircle.vcv (250.7 KB)

1 Like