Versions numbers for betas in 1.0

Hi!

I’m getting surge-rack ready to put into the library as a beta - even though I have a lot to do it is good enough for people to use I think, and I would like it to be available to 1.0 users through the plugin manager. Since there’s still incomplete work, though, I would like to tag it as a beta.

Reading the https://vcvrack.com/manual/PluginDevelopmentTutorial.html#versioning document, it’s clear that the first number of my version should be “1”. That’s fine. Do you use any semantics for the other values? I note the sdk is shipping with “1.dev.(short-hash)” for instance.

Ideally I would like to call this version “1.beta.1” (or perhaps “1.0.beta-1”) and then if needs be I could have a 1.beta.2 as I move towards 1.0.0. Any objections? Any practices you recommend? etc

And as always, sorry if this is covered elsewhere in the doc or forum. I did a search and nothing definitive, other than the above, came up.

Thanks

1 Like

1.beta1.0 probably makes the most sense

Thanks!

This is a really helpful topic; I am in a similar situation with our modules and I would guess that I’m not the only one.

@Vortico it might be good to make mention of this in the migration guide or versioning doc, but I could understand if you want to encourage devs to make a full port before adding to the plugin library.

1 Like

If the Rack ABI is still not fixed I would not call it beta

My nightlies will still be alpha but presumably the plugin manager community builds will build once the abi is stable no?

1 Like

Since the API is stable, it’s okay to version your plugins anything you want, since the version corresponds to the source. Once the ABI is stable, you can release binaries.