VCV Scope: External Trigger

Unfortunately, the EXT trigger is not there to support one-shot captures. Its there for when the signal you want to look at doesn’t provide a suitable reference point.

For example, if the signal you want to examine has an attack that varies in time, using the signal as its own trigger might not give you a true picture of the variation. So in that example you could trigger the scope off the same gate that triggers the pulse you want to study.

That’s why the submarine scopes have both an external trigger and a one-shot mode. They serve different needs.

2 Likes

This is the key point. Scope work like a “real” scope works, so it’s familiar to scope users, quirks and all. It’s perfectly reasonable that one might not want this, that’s why there are other ones available.

2 Likes

I like very much. You can do the same with AS Signal Delay (which goes to 0ms)

It has been a LONG time since I played with a real analogue scope and the mist is slowly rising how VCV Scope’s EXT IN is meant to be applied.

Thanks all for your replies.

Here’s a real-world example of using the external trigger of the VCV Scope to investigate a bug report against one of my modules. Omri reported that it had a slight latency, so if you triggered both my drum module and some other drum module at the same time, mine would come in slightly late. Here’s the patch I built to test it:

(The screenshot shows the two drums exactly in sync, after I fixed the bug.)

I’m taking the clock to the external trigger of the scope, and through a short delay to the drums so you can see the sounds start to play.

4 Likes