VCV Recorder - timed recording?

Just discovered VCVRack and having some fun with it.

Is it possible to set VCV Recorder to record a set amount of time, say 5 minutes, after the recording is started? If you right-click the recording button, it says “Record:0” and you get an option to enter a value. I’ve checked the manual but can’t find out what this option is for.

Would it be possible to use a clock to trigger the recording to start and stop?

Running on Windows 10 Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Yes, there are several ways. I have used a sequencer to send triggers to the TRIG input of the record module. You just have to set it up so that it is five minutes between the first and the second trigger.

With the above sequencer you can do really long, complicated event handling. There are others. I am currently using Clockkky mostly for event handling and trying to keep it simple.

Just use one of the sequences, like T1, and turn off all the steps except two, then make sure the clock timing results in a five minute window between those two steps and connect the T1 output of Clockkky (while Clockkky is NOT running) to the TRIG input of the Recorder. When you want to start you just need to Run Clockkky.

Note: I use a seperate clock for the actual audio production. Clockkky (or whichever clock+sequencer) is just for the event timings.

1 Like

Like said above, those are good suggestions.
And maybe Nysthi Timex or Nysthi ExpiredTime might be of use for you.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll have a look at clockkky.

expired time and timex can do exactly what you are looking for

3 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using Expired Time as it was the simplest.

TIMEX seems to be what I wanted for a recording timer (eg. “Give me exactly 5 minutes of recording time, regardless of tempo”), but I have no idea how to use the Alarms. You can’t click or right-click on them to change any of the numbers to anything besides 00:00:00.

TIMEX does show be the current system time of day and the five outputs next to the time of day give voltages that vary with the time, but that’s it.

1 Like

The red displays of Nysthi modules are draggable to edit them. click and drag up to increase, down to decrease, the further to the left in the field the bigger the steps. Takes a bit getting used to but oh so helpful once grokked

2 Likes

Ah. Now I grok it. I am but an egg.

Considerable trial and error experimentation reveals that “TIMEX” and “EXPIRED TIME” are two very different modules.

“TIMEX” is like your typical bedside alarm clock, plus a pulse divider at the bottom.

“EXPIRED TIME” is the kitchen egg timer. I can see it being handy to have the three different alarms. One to delay a sequencer’s start until slightly after a recording has started, a second to stop the sequencer, and a third to stop the recording after any reverb has finished decaying.

3 Likes